Part LXXIV - "Face yourself"

There was no longer a deep pull on my body like there was when Elijah had dropped me off. Rather this kind of pull was coming from the darkest part of my mind, leading me blindly forward. I reach out my hand to take the blanket away. I was prepared to see the worst. Although. I was not at all ready for the email I received from my mysterious, and still unknown, "friend".

The annoying sound of my phone going off echoed in the room. I swiftly dove into my bag for it. My heart hammered in my chest when I opened the new email message.

My, my

My, my. He has you wrapped around his finger so tightly it's frightening - S

What? My brow pulled up. Elijah? Was this the person they were referring to? Another message came through just as I was about to type back.

You can't possibly believe that what he spat out to you back in his bedroom was true, do you? - S

My heart was racing a mile per second. I reread the same two messages over and over until I was able to make sense of either of them.

How do you know what was said between us? What, did you have the place bugged? - Amelia

The idea of someone eavesdropping on our conversation back in Elijah's bedroom made my skin crawl. What exactly did this person hear? I hoped for a straight answer from them. Instead I found myself staring down at my phone in disgust.

Wake up, Amelia. Why can't you see that Elijah Broderick is playing you? He only said that shit to distract you. And it appears to have worked. - S

Distract me? Distract me from what? I tried thinking a few hours back when Elijah and I were still in his bedroom. I had finally woken up after nearly spending an entire day out cold. Then I proceeded to hassle and pick about Elijah's potential whereabouts from five years ago. He had me pressed against the wall where he told me he. . . loved me.

My phone went off in my hand again. I peered down at the screen.

Truthfully, I'm surprised he even took that risk. Considering he knows how skeptical your other side is. - S

You're wrong. - Amelia

Okay. . . - S

A few moments passed before I received the last email. All the blood had drained from my face.

Prove me wrong. Look into the mirror right now and face your biggest opponent. Face yourself. Deep down you know the truth, hell I'm sure you've even seen parts of it. - S

My mind became a broken record, stuck on the same words that fell out of his mouth.

"I love you, Amelia Peterson... I love you, Amelia Peterson...I love you Amelia Peterson..."

The more I thought about them the more fabricated they started to sound. It should have struck me as odd how Elijah had practically thrown those words at me. Almost in a panic. Like he used them as a last resort to keep me from digging any further into the past.

"I love you, Amelia Peterson."

Those words sounded so hollow, yet the look in his eyes showed different. That same look of longing that I saw the day it was down pouring at the park. The same exact fire that burned in his eyes as he held himself back. Why was he holding back from me? And, if not why- then what?

"Lies. . ." A menacing voice whispered.

A long shiver creeped up my spine and lingered at the base of my neck. The unsettling voice in the back of my head was finally speaking up. I lowered my gaze down to my phone screen, reading the message one last time.

. . .Look into the mirror right now and face your biggest opponent. Face yourself. . .

It scared me how well this person understood me on such a personal level. They knew me well enough to know my disposition towards my other half. What really made my toes curl at that moment was how right they were. I needed to face myself.

There were too many questions and doubts for me to ignore now. As much as it terrified me to look under the cover, I needed to deal with it.

I placed my phone on the edge of the bed

I placed my phone on the edge of the bed. My feet stepped slowly back towards the covered mirror. I reached out to grasp the blanket once again, feeling my heart pound frantically in my chest.

Part of me knew what was awaiting me beneath the cover. It scared the living shit out of me, but I needed answers. I closed my eyes and pulled.

My lungs deflated as my eyes took in the horrific sight of my reflection. Anger. Hatred. Rage. They all shined through the cracks of this tormented figure. This girl showed every single one of my flaws and wore them on the surface like badges.

"You fucking fool," she spat out.