chapter three

Ron was pissed.

While he was still sulking about Harry not remembering him, Hermione had pulled him off to the corner of the library with a panicked look on her face.

"This book got checked back in today," she showed him a thick book titled, 'Magical Memory Loss, second edition.' It was an old book, written in the late 1980s by a man named Dr. Da'rona. "Look at this!" She flipped it open to where she had out in a bookmark and pointed to the page.

"You know I'm not going to read that, Mione."

She sighed, then picked it up and began to read to him. "19 years ago, a spell of the Dark Arts was created. Initially, the lady who made it, made it so her husband would not remember the lady he was cheating on her with. He would only remember her-"

"So," Ron fumed, "Someone cursed Harry? This wasn't an accident?"

"It seems so-"

"Bet it was Malfoy! I'm gunna hex everything that boy even considers toes!"

"It could be Malfoy," Hermione agreed, "But there's the possibility that someone else cursed him. With this spell, you don't automatically forget everything but the caster. The caster of the spell gets to choose who you remember."

"But who'd make him remember only Malfoy!" Ron growled, "He's trying to ruin his life-"

"Malfoy will likely be forced to spend a lot of time with Harry, though, because Harry is too paranoid to be around anyone else. And since he'll likely get blamed for it right off the bat. Since Malfoy doesn't like Harry, why would he do this when it was obvious that he'd have to endure Harry's presence? It doesn't add up. Malfoy's smart. He would've made him remember only Voldemort, or Umbridge, if he wanted to torment him."

Ron pondered this. "So who do you think did it?"

"It's hard to say," she shrugged, "Harry's made a lot of enemies by defeating the Dark Lord. It could be anyone who was at the Quidditch match yesterday. Probably the child of a vengeful ex-Death Eater."

"We could get the records of Death Eaters who were declared to be innocent and let free. There's a lot of Death Nom-er dudes in Azkaban, so that should help narrow down our suspects." Some of the Death Eaters had pleaded insanity, or said they were under the Imperious curse. Those few were believed, so they were issued a Mind Healer and let go.

Hermione beamed. "That's great thinking, Ron! I really have rubbed off on you," Ron flushed. "Then we can figure out which of those Death Eaters have children who attend Hogwarts. From those, we can pick off kids who are proven not to be at the Quidditch match, like those at detention and such."

"This is all well and good for Justice and all," Ron scanned the page of the book Hermione had handed him, "But how is Harry supposed to get his memories back? I don't see anything here about it."

"That's because the information is included in volume three," she let out a long, exasperated sigh, "They don't have it here so I ordered it. It'll come in 3-6 weeks."

"So Harry's stuck not remembering us."

"For now."

"This book just got checked back in today," Ron's eyes widened in realization, "So that means whoever checked this out last could've done it! We could ask for those records and-"

"That information is restricted, Ron. They can't just give that out," Ron's excited smile dropped. "But that doesn't mean we can't cross-reference the list of Death Eater children and eyewitness accounts of anyone coming to the library."

Ron smiled. He was glad to be of help.

Out of everyone, it was Ginny who was taking this the hardest. She had spent the previous night yelling and crying to anyone who would listen. She was more upset that Harry remembered Draco, of all people! Not her, but Draco! For crying out loud, Malfoy was an ex-Death Eater! Everyone soon tuned out Ginny's rambles. She didn't talk about anything else and everyone got annoyed after a while.

Once she had tired herself out, she took to laying face down in the common room crying. No one disturbed her.

Harry's other friends had also taken to moping, as well as panicking. Hermione hadn't told them that Harry had been cursed yet, though she planned to do so after breakfast, so no one was panicking to an extreme extent. Except for Neville, though that was nothing new. Luna seemed to be taking things the best. She was completely unbothered by.

"The Quizbits!" would be her only response why.

Harry had awoken to 75 letters, he counted, at the foot of his bed. All from people he was supposed to know, begging to know if the rumors were true. The question of "Do you remember me?" was included in almost every letter.

"News goes around quick, I suppose," Draco Malfoy had said to Harry whenever he awoke. Harry snapped his eyes from the pile of paper.

"Morning. Sleep well?"

"Not really. Hospital beds, and all." Draco stretched his arms over his head, grunting.

"Same here," Harry uttered then bit his lip. "Though, I also didn't sleep well for another reason. I had...a really unfamiliar dream. I was waiting for you to wake up so I could ask you something." Unfamiliarity is the only thing I'm familiar with at this point, Harry thought bitterly.

Malfoy raised an eyebrow. "Really? Precious Potter needs my help?"

"Can we not start this so early?"

"It's a Sunday. Time is invalid on Sundays."

Harry sighed. "Can I just tell you what I need?"

"I dunno, Potter, can you?"

Harry decided that was enough of an answer. "I was in this really red room. A, like, common room. And I was talking with the redhead, the girl one, and then we started making out. I think," he tried not to let himself get too hopeful, "That it was a memory? Do you know if me and Sarah had anything going on?"

Draco opened his mouth to confirm, as everyone knew he and Ginny were dating, but closed his mouth when Harry said her name. "Sarah?"

"Yeah, Sarah," Harry pushed on with a gleam of hope he had failed to suppress, "That's what her name was. Did we date?"

"No," Harry sighed sadly, "But you and the redhead did date. Her name is Ginny Weasley. Not Sarah."

So it wasn't a memory. How disappointing.