Decorations

You pull down the attic ladder and climb up. You spot the light switch and turn it on. You're squinting, trying to spot the box marked Christmas Decorations. You begin pushing and pulling other boxes out of the way and you hear a noise behind you. You turn quickly and you hear Seth chuckle.

"Haha, need any help? What'cha looking for?" 

"The Christmas decorations box. I swear I put it under these boxes last year but I just can't find it." you respond.

He starts lifting boxes and reading them. You turn around and in the corner you finally spot it. "Oh, there it is." You walk over to it and bend down. When you try to lift you make a grunting noise, it's too heavy. 

He chuckles again, "Here let me get that for you." As he lifts it you see his muscles flex, you can't believe how much his working out has paid off. 

You quickly climb down the ladder so that you can help him carry the box down. He leaves it on the edge of the attic opening and climbs down a little. "Here, you get that side, I'll get this side." he says. You raise your arms as he gently pulls down the box and shifts a little bit of it's weight on you.

Once he's all the way down he takes the entire box, "Where do you want it?" 

"Just put it in the living room." You both walk into the living room and he places it in the middle of the floor.

"So, you're going to decorate the tree?" 

"Yeah. Wanna help?" 

"Of course!" he responds cheerfully. 

You go into the kitchen and bring back a pair of scissors. He automatically takes them from you and stabs them into the box, cutting the tape that was keeping it closed.

He pulls out some multi-colored lights, "Let's see if these still work." He walks over to an outlet next to the tree and plugs them in. As soon as they turn on he looks over to you like an excited child and lets out a high pitched "Yay!!!" You giggle and start sifting through the old decorations.

You clearly remember telling him that you needed to get new decorations, but you suppose he has more important things on his mind lately, like the Ted DVD being released. "Seth, next year we have to get new decorations."

"Okay, we will."

"Promise?"

He looks over at you with a genuine smile and says "I promise."

He starts untangling the lights from each other as you lift some ornaments out of the box. You reach deeper and feel a sharp pain in your hand. You jump back, "FUCK." 

Seth looks up at you quickly and almost shouts, "What?" 

You look down at your hand and see a small, thin piece of glass lodged in your palm. "I fucking cut myself." 

He stands up and gently grabs your arm, inspecting it for a while before finally saying, "Come here." He leads you to the kitchen and sits you down on one of the bar stools. He gets a large bandaid out of the cabinet along with some Hydrogen Peroxide. He has you stand up again and leads you to the sink.

He holds your wrist above it and says, "Look at me." You turn to him questionably, then with one fast motion he pulls the glass out of your hand. 

"OW FUCK." you shout angrily. 

"It's okay, it's almost over." He grabs the Hydrogen Peroxide and pours a little over the wound. Even though it doesn't sting that much, it still stings enough for Seth notice the face you're making. He starts rubbing your arm with his other hand to comfort you. 

After a while he takes a rag and dries it, gently. Then, he opens the bandaid and puts it on the cut. "See, wasn't that bad." He kisses your cheek. 

You both walk back into the living room and you sit tiredly on the couch. "Do you still want to decorate?"

"Of course, we have to do it tonight or we'll never get it done." you say. 

"Well here, let me get the rest of the decorations out of the box. Wouldn't want you cutting yourself again." You smile, but he's not looking. He's already picking things out of the box carefully.

You stand up and walk over to the still lit Christmas lights. You lift them up and start awkwardly wrapping them around the tree. Seth looks up at you and giggles at how much you're stretching your arms to get the lights around it. By the time he stands up to help you, you've already almost finished. "Go get the step stool from the bathroom, please." you say.

"We don't need a step stool." he smiles. You look at him weirdly and he bends down and puts his head between your legs. He lifts you up and before you know it he's giving you a shoulder-back ride.  You both start laughing hysterically and you grip his forehead and accidentally poke him in the eye. "OW" he's still giggling. "S-sorry" you can barely say it because you're laughing so hard. 

"Told you we didn't need a step stool." he chuckles. You're still laughing but you pick up the remaining bit of lights and wrap them around the top part of the tree.

"Okay, put me down." you say through giggles.

"No wait, you might as well put the star up." Keeping his back straight he carefully walks to the box, bends his legs, lifts the star out, then hands it up to you. You raise your arms and lower it onto the top of the tree. You lean back a bit and inspect it. After a few adjustments you're finally satisfied with the placement and Seth puts you down. 

You laugh and turn around. He chuckles and he kisses you.

"I love you." he says. You can see the passion in his eyes. "I love you too."