chapter 1

Before we begin, a few clarifications - Runa, Yumeko, Mary (most of the characters in this story) are all in the same year (although not all in the same classes) as y/n - apart from Kirari, Ririka or Sayaka who are all one year older than y/n.

You started this school a couple months later than everyone else in your year due to you being in a different country and then moving to where Hyakkaou Academy is so you can attend there, so that is why everyone already has heard of/knows each other.

-

POV- y/n.

"Why not just gamble for it?" Runa suggested, mumbling slightly because of the lollypop in her mouth in response to my request for her to share her favourite possession.

I had started life at Hyakkaou Private Academy not so long ago, and it really was unlike anything else I've experienced before. I had a big shock when I realised that this school didn't care about academics, fitness or even what kind of a person you were. No, this school cares about how well you can gamble. And it determines everything.

"Alright, if you win, I'll get you the new game you've been pestering me about, however if I win, you have to let me play on your Nintendo switch without complaining for as long as I want." I reasoned, with a small smile.

I met Runa during my second day here, completely unaware of her intimidating title or reputation. Looking for a friend,  I was drawn to her confident and carefree personality from across the room, so I went over and introduced myself. Thankfully, she seemed to like me and let me get very close to her - which seems to be rare occurrence for her with others.

I'm still settling in, so I haven't found many other friends yet, but I'm hoping to change that.

"Ah, fine, but don't set your hopes on winning because I am not losing to you ever again y/n".

But whilst we were playfully bickering on which type of gamble to play, two girls I didn't recognise strode in to the empty classroom we were hanging out in.

-

(363 words)