✭ 𝒩ine - 𝐹elix and 𝐹eelings ✭

I had always thought that Felix was different from the rest of Pan's Lost Boys. I had never really seen him smile, or dance around the campfire with the others, or start up much of a conversation. He was usually with Pan himself, the two talking discreetly together at the camp, or leading the boys. But he always had a distant and desolate expression. I had never asked Peter about it or mentioned it until now, when he was standing right in front of me, alone in the middle of the Pixie Woods. I hesitated for a moment, then propped myself up on a low hanging but sturdy branch, looking up at him.

"I do want to know, but you don't have to say if you don't want to," I responded. "It's just.... you know, you seem kind of, different to the other Lost Boys? Are you and Peter brothers or something?"

"Might as well be," he said, leaning against a tree opposite me and thinking for a moment. "Look, I will tell you, but you have my trust that you'll keep it to yourself."

I nodded, and he glanced around the area briefly before beginning.

"How do you think all these Lost Boys came here?"

"I don't know, Peter said that he came to their towns and took all the unloved boys here."

"He used his pipe," Felix said, his grey-blue eyes meeting mine, "his magical pipe, which only the unloved boys can hear. I was the first to hear them."

"Really?"

He nodded.

"He was doing a trial run. I heard it. It was so clear." His expression showed the evidence of his recollection, and he broke eye contact. "I never felt like I fitted in where I used to be."

"Why?"

He sighed slightly, looking uncomfortable. "I was an orphan, Celeste."

My eyes widened a fraction, and it took me a moment to process his words.

"You were?"

He nodded again. "I was abandoned when I was a baby. My parent didn't have a choice, apparently - they were poor and had a bad health condition or something. But I never..."

"Felt like it was a place where you belonged," I finished, and he looked up at me slowly, his expression unclear. "I get it. Well, I'm not an orphan myself, but I worked in a young daycare place with a carer."

Felix seemed surprised, and it took him a couple of moments to respond quietly.

"Did you really?"

I nodded with a slight smile. "Yeah. Childhood wasn't that great for me either, so when I was sent to live with someone else, she lived and worked in a daycare with toddlers that were dropped off by busy working parents. But nothing ever happened. And I always wanted adventure."

"Exactly. I heard Peter's pipes and followed the sound until I found him playing it in the woods. He told me who he was, where he came from, what that place was like. He took me back with him and trained me, gave me a real place to call home. We've been quite close ever since."

I nodded slowly, still curious.

"And you're completely happy to be here?"

Felix was about to answer, then looked up with a slightly confused gaze.

"Well, yes. Why?"

I shook my head and shrugged.

"I don't know. You still seem kind of upset when I see you around."

"I'm not upset," Felix insisted, "I just... just would've liked to know who my parents and family were, that's all. I didn't get told anything about them."