✭ 𝒯welve - 𝐻ourglass ✭

The night was tense and uncertain to me, even though I could faintly sense and feel the magic, quite literally, in the air and the pixie dust and everything that powered Neverland rejuvenating discreetly in the darkness. I lay facing upwards in my hammock, often taking out the drawing of me and studying the outlines and colour, though it was dimmed by the lighting. Again and again, my mind kept wandering back to Peter, his thinking tree, my coming here.

I thought back to how easily I let myself fall from my attic window back at Georgia's, and the way Peter Pan's eyes sparkled when I took the pixie dust. The way he flashed me his boyish smirk when I realised what he wanted me to do to get here. The way I was entranced and fascinated by the bright, unnatural swirling and magic of the portal, instead of being scared out of my mind and making a scene.

I thought of any other girl's reaction if that same experience was theirs, and not mine. Totally different.

Maybe I was crazy?

I bit the inside of my lip as I thought everything over, again and again. Why did I go? What gave me the decision to take the dust and leap, like I had nothing to lose? What made me believe?

But then, I didn't really have anything to lose. And there was something about the way he described everything, the way he told me where he was from, about magic. But then his whole manner and expression turned as soon as my feet touched Neverland's ground. The only time I had truly seen a dark, smug look on his face. Similar to the way he'd looked at Killian and his brother.

I pushed the two sailors out of my mind as quickly as they came in, regret momentarily threatening to overtake my thoughts. I lay awake most of the night but wasn't tired in the morning. I was motivated. I had waited long enough for answers. Now I was determined to get them.

I stepped out of my room and into the main camp, surrounded by Lost Boys, their moods lifted by the events of yesterday. Felix nodded at me with a small smile, Peter beside him. He noticed me and gave me his signature smirk, approaching me.

"Having fun?"

"Um, sure. We need to talk."

Pan frowned slightly, confused, and he nodded.

"You're in charge today Felix," Pan called to him, and lead me away from the camp to Pixie Woods.

"What's wrong, Celeste?"

I looked into Peter's forest green eyes, staring back at me.

"You said you were being genuine," I said eventually, "that you wouldn't lie to me."

"That's right." No loss of eye contact, no sign of guilt. I sighed impatiently, thinking of the best way to word things.

"Then why do you have this?!"

I pulled out the drawing and pushed it into his hand. Pan looked at the drawing, then back to me.

"Where did you get this?"

"That's what I should be asking you," I shot back, annoyed. "It was in your thinking tree."

Pan sighed, shaking his head.

"Celeste, I've already told you, everything will make sense in-"

"I'm not waiting any longer for answers! Why should I? I deserve to know. I'm not waiting for two months to find out why you took me here, why it had to be me, and why you have an illustration of me. That's reasonable. I want to know," I told him desperately, "I want to know. Please."

Pan studied me for a few long moments, unease and a hint of sympathy in his expression.

"Are you sure you want to know? Because if I tell you, if I show you..." he started, but his voice trailed off.