David: Part 1

David was my first job and unfortunately my first failure.

Don't judge me, nobody tells you what to expect in this job.

His profile wasn't anything special; a dark-haired, brown eyed, six-foot three male human. Works as an attorney in a conservative town.

I know, boring.

Why does an attorney in a small conservative town need a guardian angel? Was my question when I was first assigned to him. But apparently, 'we weren't supposed to ask questions'. As my brother Abel would say, "tail your mark and figure it out."

My first ride with David was to a diner.

I know what you are thinking, and the answer is, no, David couldn't see me.

He was meeting a friend, Samuel.

In case you are wondering, the answer is, yes, I could whisper into Samuel's ears too, if it meant swaying David from making a dumb decision.

Samuel was already at the diner when we got there. At first, David seemed like a normal human male. He signaled at the waitress and she came to take his order. David wanted a burger and Samuel wanted fries. I, on the other hand, was questioning my life decisions.

I could have done a better job in the healer's post. Why didn't I? now I'm stuck watching two humans order burger and fries.

"I don't know how you do it?" Samuel so rudely interrupted my thought before helping himself to the fries placed in his front.

A distracted David was busy trading smiles with the waitress. "How I do what?" He finally asked examining her ass as she passed by.

I was shocked - Okay, maybe a little bit impressed - I didn't expect that from David; he didn't seem like the type.

Could this be why I'm here? I thought.

Samuel, signalling at David's eye-feeding habit, "that. How you do that."

"Easy. You just smile back at them for attraction confirmation, then you check them chee_"

"That's not what I mean," Samuel interrupted. "How are you not afraid of getting caught? You know what they do to fornicators around here."

"Did you just say 'fornicators'?" David laughed. "What year is this? Nineteen-hundred? Listen my friend, " he leaned forward, closing the gap between him and Samuel, "I've been in this game for far too long to get caught," he whispered.

At that point, I had a feeling my mission was close by. So I summoned the book of knowledge and asked: "what happens to fornicators in this town?"

"they-get-stoned-to-death," the book of knowledge aptly replied.

"Goodness. What do I do now?" I asked.

"I'm-not-equipped-to-answer-that-question," answered the book of knowledge.

"I thought as much."

David stood up. "It's time to go and secure the prey. Watch and learn." He smiled and winked at Samuel as he strutted his way to the counter.

I followed him.

At the counter, he looked over his shoulder a few times before signalling at the waitress. She came from the other end of the counter to his side and hunched over from across the table.

"What time do you get off work?" David whispered in her ear.

"Eight thirty," she whispered back in his ear.

David smiled and pointed at the building across the street, "pick you up by the alley."

She nodded in agreement.

I suppose I should prevent this encounter from happening.

So I appeared by Samuel's left ear and whispered, "Stop him."

David was back in his seat.

"You are not thinking about taking her home, are you?" Samuel asked.

"Of course, I am."

"Are you out of your mind?! That's too risky...why don't you just_"

"Spare me the sermon, Sam." David rolled his eyes. "I've told you time after time, I don't want to get married like the rest of you."

"But_"

"but nothing," he bent over from across the table and placed his hand on Samuel's shoulder, "I don't want you to worry, Sam. This isn't my first rodeo, it'll be fine."

Yes, Samuel failed.

But I refused to give up. I appeared in David's left ear and whispered some sense in to him. To my surprise, David didn't bat an eye. He had made up his mind.

"Well," I said to myself,"he did say this isn't his first rodeo. I mean, what could go wrong?

Come to think of it, I disagreed at the time, but Abel may have been right. He claimed I intentionally wanted the situation to escalate because of my hatred for humans; that I should have kept pestering David, then maybe I could have prevented what came afterwards.