3. Staked Queen

The following piece is Draupadi's staking and Cheerharan from Bhanumati's POV presented by agirlwithblackshoes

______________________________________

"I am staking my wife, Kashi Princess Bhanumati!"

"Empress Draupadi is won!"

"Bring that arrogant woman in the court, Dusshashan! And if she doesn't agree, bring her by pulling her hair!"

My husband was shouting these words in the Sabha. Yes my husband, Hastinapur Yuvraaj Duryodhan.
I am the Kashi Princess Bhanumati whom my husband staked in that Game of Dice.

I was abducted from my Swaymbar. I had made my mind to garland the King of Avanti but as soon as I went past Yuvraaj Duryodhan, he forcefully abducted me from my Swaymbar and my companion, Supriya too by his best friend, Vashusena.

Though his family members at first condemned his act, later they accepted me as the Yuvrani of Hastinapur. Infact, my husband loved me more than anything in the world.

"Dasi Draupadi!!! Dare to oppose me. You're my slave now!!"

I heard my husband shouting again. I shivered hearing his voice this time. With me he never talked to me in this voice and how did he talk to a woman like this? Moreover, she was his sister in law!

The wretched game of dice! The cousins of my husband, Pandavas were elated to visit their home, Hastinapur after a long time. Their wife, Empress Draupadi was really the sweetest and bold lady I've ever met. When she came to Hastinapur after her marriage, we used to spend
time with each other talking about our past lives, daily lives and all. She became my almost best friend after Supriya.

But the happiness was short-lived, the kingdom was divided and they went to their own Kingdom.

"Slave Draupadi! Sit on my right thigh.."

I again heard my husband telling such things. I was suddenly feeling disgusted at my husband.

How could he? How could he do such a heinous act? Everybody used to say, he's evil, he has no sense, he would destroy Kuru kingdom one day. But I didn't believe, I believed that he is the best man in the world.

But today...today...he broke that illusion of mine. I was scared. Scared of my husband, may be the first time in my life.

Suddenly my son and daughter came running to me, my Laxman and Lakshmana. I guess they are too scared of their father for the first time in their life. I felt like crying seeing my children crying bitterly. For them their father was their hero who could do anything wrong. But today they were also broken like me, couldn't believe that their father was doing like that. I hugged them tightly and took them to my bed.

Suddenly I heard something which was like a thunder to my life .

"Women who keep relationships with 5 men are called "harlot!" So having clothes on her or not having doesn't make any difference! Dusshashan! Strip off the clothes of her body!"

This time it wasn't my husband but one of my closest friends, Vashusena. It felt like my world breaking down; first my husband and then my friend! Everything in my world felt fake now. It seemed an illusion I was living in. Only hope was that my husband would disagree with his bosom friend and stop doing anything heinous. I didn't want my husband to die in a bad way!

But but, everything doesn't happen at our own will, does it? The next command of him made me break like a delicate glass doll.

"Do as my friend says! Dushshashan! Strip off the clothes from her body!"

I fell in a thud hearing this. It felt like I was a lifeless person, with only body and nothing. I grabbed my children and started to cry and pray to the Almighty for the person who was my best friend once.

Mata Gandhari came to my room to check on me but I wasn't in the condition to even talk to her.
Everything looked false then, my husband's love for me and my children, my best friend Vashusena's and my brother in law Dushshashan's respect and care for me. Everything looked false. As if my Illusions were broken badly and I knew it couldn't be joined in this lifetime.

Mata went to the court, in order to save her, she also told me to accompany but I wasn't able to move from my place. I couldn't face Draupadi, I felt like I was guilty for her condition. I should have protested against my husband when he, being jealous of his cousins' wealth he witnessed at Rajasuya Yajna, decided to rob them off their wealth. I should have informed Mata why the dice game was being arranged. But I knew, I was helpless. I didn't have that voice of my own to stop those activities.

Suddenly I heard my Father In Law, the King of Kurus, Dhritarashtra offering boons to Draupadi.

I felt like my husband's end was near. I didn't know what to do — to rejoice that she was saved and set free or to be sad that my husband's life would be in danger then.

Then I heard my brother in law, Bheem roaring,

"Remember Duryodhan! You and all your 99 brothers' deaths would be in my hand! And I would
attack and break the same thigh which you offered Panchali to sit on!"

"Arjun would kill this arrogant Vashusena and my brother Sahdev would kill Shakuni and his
sons! That day no one could stop us from avenging the injustices done to Panchali!"

Suddenly, blackness surrounded me and I fainted hearing the death notes of my husband.....