Describe Skin Color

I know what your probably thinking: "But why would I need to describe skin color unless they're a POC?" 

Well that's not an amazing mindset to be having. Let me explain: 

Saying that describing a character's color is only needed if they are a POC is like saying that white or pale, is the default skin color. You could probably see where that would be a little concerning. 

Even if your character is Caucasian, you can still use words to describe what their tone is like. 

Here are some charts that might be able to help: 

See even if you aren't a POC, your skin still has a color

Now that we've been over that, let's get into another thing. 

PLEASE DO NOT use food (colors) to describe people of color. As innocent as it seems, it implies that we are food, something for you to just eat and forget about - if that makes sense. 

Also, it might make people feel like the only things that share a similar color to them is food. So please, try to avoid using food when describing skin tone. 

Here are some things you can use: 

Just use simple colors: Brown, dark brown, beige, white, etc. 

Or you can use complex colors: terracotta, copper, fawn, etc. 

Maybe try modifiers, words like dark, light, rich, cool, warm, tan, fair. 

You can combine colors and modifiers to be more descriptive: "She had dark brown skin", "His tone was a warm golden color", "They had a pale pink tint to their skin".

You can also use under tones: 

Make some comparisons (with things that aren't food). Things like wood: Oak, driftwood, chestnut, etc. 

You can use things in nature: pinecone, acorn, sand, etc. 

Get creative!

I hope this was helpful and if you are wondering more about this feel free to ask questions (although I may not know all the answers, haha) or check out Writingwithcolor's page on Tumblr because they go into much more detail about this subject. https://writingwithcolor.tumblr.com/post/96830966357/writing-with-color-description-guide-words-for 

Anyways, next on the list is how to add some LGBTQ+ characters! 

-Tia 💚