Adding LGBT Characters

Even if you are writing a story about the most heterosexual girl in the universe, adding some LGBTQ+ characters never hurt. 

First, let's start with having a main character that is LGBTQ+. 

As much struggle as LGBTQ+ people go through, it is not our entire lives, we still do everyday things like other people do. We have a life (although it may not be very interest [self roast ig]). We still have a family (and hope that they are very supportive), go to school, and have friends. 

Being gay, trans, or another other part of the community isn't the only thing we've got going for us. 

If you are thinking of adding or having an LGBTQ+ character, don't make being LGBT their whole life. Design an actual character with personality traits, strengths, and weaknesses, not just a "lesbian girl" or "trans guy". Try not to focus on the sexual aspects of the character (unless it's romance or smut). 

Being LGBTQ is not a plot. Once again, the character just happens to be LGBTQ, the book doesn't need to be about their sexual or romantic life. 

Just because the story doesn't center area their sexuality doesn't mean it isn't important to mention their sexual orientation. The reader wouldn't know the character's sexuality if you don't mention it. You can't be representing LGBTQ+ people if you forget to say they are LGBTQ+. 

Also having a character development arc is pretty important, so don't forget to include it. 

Moving on, if you don't have any LGBTQ+ main characters that the story may follow get get into detail with, then maybe look into adding a background character that is part of the community. 

Having a side character that has (or has had) a lover of the same sex, or may be transgender is always a fun little thing for people to see. 

A character could have parents of the same sex and still have a happy health household, you don't have to put too much detail into it. 

The character might have an LGBTQ+ friend or family member (but remember that is not their entire persona). 

Someone in a book might go by pronouns that might not align with their appearance or personality (which is perfectly okay because fuck social norms), or go by them/them pronouns. It's a simple way to add someone who might be ENBY or trans. Remember trans is an umbrella term; there is an entire spectrum. Maybe try to casually mention their hormones if they are under the trans umbrella. 

You've probably heard one too many straight people mention their lover in a conversation. Well that is an easy way to include a character that may have a partner of the same gender! Bringing it up in conversation is a really easy way to tell readers that said character has a s/o of the same gender!

There is nothing wrong with stereotypes (except if it's homophobic and overdone), but don't forget, this is your character and your plot. Some stereotypes can harm the image of LGBTQ+ community when used too often. Try to be original

Also, it's always good to ask LGBTQ+ people how they feel. Maybe ask a friend how they would like to be represented. Ask for help, asking never hurt anybody and certain people have certain things they would or would not like to see. I do not know everything, so getting another person's opinion is great. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask (but, once again, I don't know everything). Also, if you get a chance look up the best ways to write/ add LGBTQ+ characters to your books, the internet is very helpful sometimes. Really hope this helps! 

Up next is adding characters with physical disability! 

-Tia 💖🌈