Characters with Physical Disabilities

I know characters with (physical) disabilities aren't in your everyday book, but that means adding you to your story would make it more unique, and definitely more inclusive (which is the whole point)! 

Use your imagination! If you aren't handicapped, try to think of it as if you are getting over the flu. You are tired and doing simple things like walking makes your arms want to die. Well, find a way around it. There is almost always another way, and if there isn't you probably have someone else who can help! 

Try thinking like the disabled character: What do they see? What do they feel? What do they hear? And why? 

Don't make their disability sound tragic. People with disabilities don't want to feel like their story is something huge and should be made a big deal because most people don't want it to be. 

• Handicapped people are not weak

DO NOT make it a sob story

DO NOT make their disability their sole identification 

They still have personalities, and likes and dislikes, just like everyone else does. 

DO NOT make them seem any less human because of their disability. Handicapped people still have feelings and are just as human as we are. Try not to treat them or have other characters treat them differently. They are more than able to keep themself alive and well. 

Also, don't make it so the readers or other characters feel the need to pity the character. There is no need to feel excessive pity for said character. No, having a physical disability isn't amazing, but don't make the character feel like they are missing out. 

Also, PLEASE AVOID the term "wheelchair-bound". For a lot of people, having a wheelchair gives them the freedom the move around and leave their house (things some others aren't given the option to do). 

This character's disability should not be the center of the plot. There should be a story outside of someone not being able to do something some others can. Just like LGBTQ+ people, being disabled isn't the only in their life, they still go shopping, have school, and have family and friends. Besides, it probably would not be nearly interesting enough to make an entire story about it. 

Don't shy away from talking about their disability. Some disabled people don't feel offended by talking about their disability, so feel free to go into detail. And readers would probably be interested about how the character may have lost a limb (or whatever other disability you choose). Once again, try not to make the disability the center of the plot. 

Try not to use medical terms unless you are educated and know what they mean. Some people are misinformed when it comes to medical equipment and terms, so please look it up if you aren't 100% sure what something means. You could possibly be offending someone by using a term that is incorrect. 

Adding to that, do not spread misinformation about a condition based on a rumor or random news article you've read. Some disabilities cannot be cured with just some alternative therapies or miracle treatments. Make sure that the "science" you are using is actual science. 

Try to make it seem as realistic as possible!

Once again (I will repeat this in every chapter because this is important), you should try and ask people with disabilities how they would like to be represented. I, personally, do not have a disability so I would not know what they would or would not consider offensive. Make sure to get opinions and do research

I really hope this has helped some people! Love you guys!

Next up is adding people with mental illness(es)! The next chapter will be out in a few days because I haven't started on it, sorry guys. 

-Tia 🤎