Chapter 22

Chapter 22
Sally and Harry walked into the room and sat down where the secretary motioned for them to sit.  Sally was nervous and was struggling to keep herself from shaking.  Her body was acting like it was cold when she was not.  She had shook like this before when she was scared or nervous but it was very rare.  She wanted to look confident but her body shaking gave her away.  Harry wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her arms vigorously to help her relax. 

"Miss. Sally, Mr. Baker, I hope you're having a good day. Can we offer you coffee or tea, water?"  Harry spoke up "Yes, we would love some water that would be great thanks."  Sally nodded and took a few deep breaths in hopes that her nerves would calm down.  It was working and she said a quick prayer under her breath, "Lord I need peace, I am trusting you, you know best but I need peace because I am so nervous and worried.  Help me, please Lord, help me."  Sally opened her eyes and then felt a warm feeling cover her body and she felt a little more peace and calm.  She was ready.  "Well, folks", The lawyer started and sat down in his chair behind his desk, "I am happy to finally be able to deal with this matter.  I do hope your stay at the ranch was meaningful and helpful in your grieving process.  I don't want to waste time so if you two don't mind I would like to jump right in."  Sally and Harry looked at eachother and back at him and nodded.  "Ok great, I want to start with school, did you finish your requirements for graduation?"  Sally smiled at him, "Yes sir, and I was already able to retrieve it with Harry's power of attorney papers but I am not going to participate in the ceremonies.  I have everything I need from them to attend any college or get a job."  The lawyer smiled at her, "job?" He smiled a big smile, as if he was tickled at the thought of her having a job.  She wasn't sure what it meant but she continued. "Yes, for my future education or career choices."  The lawyer looked down at his paperwork and looked at his checklist, "Ok, great the next item we will discuss is this... this is a letter your mother left you just in case she died before you were an adult.  Let's start with this and then go from there.  Do you want to read it out loud or me?"  Sally started to shake slightly again at the thought of a letter and then said please go ahead and took a deep breath to calm herself while Harry patted her back.  "Ok here we go...

'To my dearest Sally,
If you're reading this letter then the most horrible thing has happened.  This may sound odd but I am so sorry for your loss.  I too know what it feels like to lose someone you love.  I am sorry I couldn't be there for you like a mother should.  As I write this I realize I am only planning for the future as a 'just in case'.  Your father taught me to always accept the best but be prepared for the worse that life can bring.  So I am preparing to make sure you are fine after I am gone if, God forbid, I die while you are a minor.  It should be about 6 months from my death, that is the instructions left with the law firm that takes care of all our estate affairs.  I instructed them to wait and give whoever needed to have power of attorney to help you have that for 6 months.  This would give you a little breathing room to grieve.  I know you will need it.  I have asked the law firm to make a very important phone call to a man named Harry Baker and make sure he knows I am gone and to come here to meet you.  I'm sorry I haven't done a very good job over the years keeping in touch with him; but he is the most kind and loving person I have ever met second only to your daddy.  I am an only child as was your father, as you know, so you don't have biological aunts or uncles.  My parents are too old to take care of you and your daddy's don't know you as well, and they are not getting any younger.  We have never been close to anyone else.  Before your daddy died he asked Harry to be your Godfather and Harry said yes.  I realize my deep sadness and depression caused me to keep distance from everyone including Harry, unfortunately.  I am sorry for that but this man is a good man I promise.  I can not say how all this will play out or how I die but I do want you to live with him in Montana until you can finish school and become an adult.  Money is not a concern, you're inheriting over one billion dollars or more.  You will never have to work a day in your life unless you want to (and you should if you'd like).  You can even fix up Harry's place to make it more suitable to your needs if he is ok with that.  You can go to college any place you would like and you can go into politics like you talked about as a child and start a new party.  You can do whatever you want, but please stay with this man until you turn 18.  I love you more than life itself, you are my whole life.  If you're reading this I am with Jesus and I know you're sad and maybe even a little angry.  I was, I got angry with God and it took me months to give up and just let him heal me.  This is going to be a hard and long road but handle it there with Harry, he can help you, he is a pastor now.  Also, know that God was the only place I found hope, joy and then peace.  He was the only way I could cope.  I decided to be there for you and love you the best I could.  He helped me do that.  I trusted him and He didn't let me down.  Go to Him and let Him show up in a mighty way in your own life.  You are strong, courageous, brave, smart and amazing and you will be ok.  I believe in you and I believe in Jesus that is in you, my darling.  Chase your dreams, find love, and go for it, no holding back.  I loved your daddy with all my heart, every part of myself within weeks.  Go for it when you meet the man God has for you.  Live Sally, live and be the woman God created you to be.  I love you!  Ps.  I have a bunch of cool stuff you will want to check out in my secret chest.  The leather-bound chest at the foot of my bed.  A wedding gown I saved for you one day if you'd like to wear it (a tailor can make it fit you), my wedding shoes and, my journals, your daddy's love letters, and lots of other stuff, even your daddy's and my rings.  I love you so much.  Remember all things in life come and pass, this too shall pass.  Hang in there and remember if I am dead I am with Jesus. No pain, no sorrow, no tears, no sin, no yuck for me anymore.  Go live my baby girl, go-live.
Pss. I am also giving Harry one million as a gift for taking you in.  I am sure he will not need convincing to take you in, he is a good man. However, I want to make sure he feels his time is compensated and he has what he needs to make the arrangements to bring in a child.
Your mother, Jean'

Sally's eyes were wide and full of tears.  Harry's mouth was almost wide open.  They looked at each other and smiled.  God had already gone before her.  He already had a plan.  She was able to just stay with Harry and Maggie and that meant she would feel at home and she would be able to be with Hotah.  She looked up at the lawyer and made eye contact. "Do you have any questions?" He asked her.  "What about the business do I need to do anything with that?  Do I have to go to business school and take over the companies?"  Her lawyer smiled, "My dear Your mother didn't have to do much of a thing for all these years.  These businesses are huge and they run themselves and money goes into accounts for you automatically.  You can run them if you would like, but this is your choice.  You are a billionaire and it keeps coming, you would never have to work a day in your life unless you want too.  You have a complete staff.  Your mother did a lot of things on her own because she enjoyed her independence however she didn't have to clean, cook, drive, or do anything she didn't want too. You happen to be one of the richest people in America with no other Heir. Do you have any other questions?"  Sally was taking all this in and realized she never had anything to worry about at all.  "What about my apartment?"  The lawyer enjoyed her attention to detail, "You have a few choices, leave it as is in case you want to move back in a few months after your eighteen, or have them change it into a suite that can be rented out.  Either way you tell me and my job is to draw up the paperwork and make it happen."  Sally sat back in her chair and started to take in all the information.  This was going to be easy and she could go home, back home to Maggie, Hotah and the ranch.  She would figure out the rest there and the urgency left her.  She had time, time to think and plan and just be with Hotah.  It was all going to be ok after all.