three

"Hello, Jeju Island."

I stepped out of the airport, taking a whiff of fresh air as the gentle breeze blew through my hair.

"Yoojin!" A voice shouted from the distance. I whipped around, a petite figure waving excitedly at me. She ran to me, pouncing on me with a huge hug.

"It's so good to see you again!" Aunt Youngshin exclaimed, the wrinkles around her eyes creasing upwards, "How have you been?"

"Fine, I guess." I gave her a small smile as she squeezed my shoulders in delight. I wouldn't say I'm not glad to see her, but she can be a little overwhelming at times.

"You must be tired, let's hurry to my place," she said quickly and grabbed my luggage, supporting my back as we headed to her car.

The ride to her place was incredulously long, or maybe it was because my aunt would never go a second without talking.

"I've already prepared a room for you, so just settle right in, alright?" She chattered, glancing towards me for half of the time.

"I see, thank you," I answered mindlessly, before gazing out of the window again.

The view before me was spectacular, the afternoon sun offering a glistening glow on the surface of the sea. The scarcity of housing added the much needed peaceful vibe to the picture, enough to drown both my thoughts and her words out.

"We're here," my aunt's voice broke the moment as she smoothly parked in front of a historically-looking cottage. She rushed to help me out of my seat, struggling with my belongings at the same time.

I took a long look at the building, examining the small cracks forming around the edges of her house. Of course, what did I expect?

"Let's go in," she grinned as both of us stepped into the house, my mouth falling wide open.

Despite the crummy exterior, the interior of her house was immaculately modern, her furniture looking well kept even after living here for 30 years. I couldn't help but feel jealous for my brother.

"Where's my room?" I chimed subconsciously, surprised at my perkiness. She pointed excitedly to a small corner, and a sudden wave of dejection fell over me.

I hobbled over to the dark brown door with little hope, before being met with the bright interior of my new bedroom.

I strolled in slowly, admiring the white, minimalistic theme that was surrounding me. It was definitely a change from my cluttered room, although I can't guarantee that this one will stay this way.

"Do you like it?" My aunt asked from the doorway, full of hope.

"Yes, a lot." I smiled, this time a lot bigger. She clapped her hands and jumped with joy, pure glee written all over her face.

"By the way," a question came to mind as my aunt looked at me with curiosity, "Can I take a look around the town?"

"Of course!" She exclaimed, "I'll be at my workplace, so drop by when you're done." I gave her a nod before she left me alone to unpack.

I sat on my bed, feeling the soft fabric slide under my palms as I gazed around my room once more. I didn't know my aunt was capable of doing all this with just a two-week notice. I can definitely get used to this.

---

I left the house in a struggle, dragging my injured foot with every step. I've been trying to do away with my crutches as much as possible, but it hasn't been easy.

Luckily, the road ahead of me was in my favour.

I strolled along the side of the empty road, the calm atmosphere causing me to forget about my ankle.