September 29th, 2020

It was finally September 29th, 2020. Both candidates had prepared. Well, as much as they thought they needed to.

"I'm Chris Wallace of Fox News, and I welcome you to the first of the 2020 presidential debates between president Donald j trump and former vice president Joe Biden. This debate is sponsored by the commission on presidential debates. The commission has designed the format: Roughly fifteen-minute segments with two-minute answers from each candidate to the first question then open discussion for the rest of each segment."

Trump nervously twitched. He was finally here. Joe was barely a room away from him.

Breathe. You just have to do this for one hour, and then you can finally tell Joe how you feel.

Easy Enough.

"...As a precaution, both campaigns have agreed the candidates will not shake hands at the beginning of tonight's debate."

"What?" Trump exclaimed a little too loudly.

"It's just for precautions. No need to fret; you don't want to touch that jerk's hand anyway," a nearby associate mumbled nervously.

But the thing is I do. No matter how much contact I have with Joe, I want it. Trump thought with disappointment.

"Oh, but he does," Melania mumbled under her breath, just soft enough for no one to hear her.

And with that, the two opponents entered the stage.

~~~

He looks good in that suit, Trump thought nonchalantly.

Goddamit, why won't he stop interrupting me, Joe thought while glaring daggers into Donald.

Oh my god, he's looking at me! Trump quietly adjusted his suit.

"Now gentlemen, your opinions on the nomination of Amy Coney Barret for the supreme court," Wallace questioned.

"Well, to simply put it, it shouldn't have happened. For one-"

"Well, you see, joe," Trump started, desperate to have Biden focus on him once more.

"Gentleman, Gentleman, please, it is not yet an open floor."

"I'm trying to debate joe here, not you, Wallace," Trump grumbled, trying to hide his agitation.

~~ (subject change)

It was 20 minutes in. Neither candidate had actually answered any questions so far.

Tired of Trump, Biden proclaimed, "The fact is, everything he is saying so far is a lie. I'm not here to call out his lie. Everybody knows he's a liar."

Trump stood stock still. Had Joe just said that? The man he put on a pedestal had just completely bashed him in front of America. (side note ~ yeah.... that's like the whole point)

He knew it was a debate, but still. He couldn't help but feel a little piece of his heart shatter.

Biden noticed this sudden change in his opponent but didn't point it out. Had he done something wrong? I mean, they were debating after all. But a small part of him wanted to run across the stage and help him out. What was that feeling? It was strange. Oh well, better to push it all down.

But Trump was upset. So, Trump did the only thing he knew how to do. He brought up topics unrelated to the discussion."

"Don't lecture me about the military, when your son was dishonorably discharged. Not only that, but he couldn't get a job anywhere because of his drug addiction. What do you have to say about that, Joe?" Trump rebutted, desperate at this point.

And so, the debate continued. Both candidates at each other's throats. Neither willing to concede. The moderator trying to control the situation. Maybe someone was turned on by this situation. Who's to know? (side note ~ it's you. You're turned on by this. Why are you reading this...why? Why am I writing this?)

Finally, thinking he had the upper hand, Biden retaliated saying, "He's Putin's Puppy."

Trump didn't know how to respond to that. Out of all things, he had to bring my ex into things. Seriously? It was a long time ago, anyway. And how did he even know I was into that kind of roleplay? He couldn't know.... unless.

~~~

Eventually, after much more arguing, the debate was over. Both parties were left unsatisfied. And all of America was left confused. What was that weird tension they had just witnessed?

"Was it just me, or was it kind of hot in here?" Wallace questioned.

"Oh, it wasn't just you." the person next to him mumbled. "I think everyone noticed. There was definitely something going on there."

Overhearing their conversation, Melania smiled to herself. You're right.

(Author's Note)

OK. I literally rewatched the hour and a half long debate and took notes on it for crucial plot points. I didn't include as much as I wanted to, though. Also, almost all of these quotes are directly from the text. Again, this took me forever, and I lowkey hate it. Side note, I really want to write a serious fic, but I intend to see this one through the end. So, whenever I finish this one......