━ ii: sweet molasses bread

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

──── ❝ chapter ii ❞ ────

❝ sweet molasses bread ❞

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

          SUNDAYS, IF YOU CAN BELIEVE it, are actually worse than Saturdays, because Sundays are when the Olivers attend church. Church in itself wasn't bad; Tommy actually loved the feeling of believing there was a beautiful, divine power out there who loved her regardless of her flaws. However, the people who attended it were... less than beautiful.

          In school, Tommy had to put on a front, but in church, she may as well had been performing in a CW show with how fake she had to act.

          The act began whenever Brianne Finch spotted her walking in. "Oh, Tommy!"

           Brianne Finch was the daughter of Delia Finch, the head of Angel Grove's PTA. It wouldn't seem like such a significant detail, but when you consider the fact that Delia Finch wrote recommendation letters for Ivy League-bound students for the past fifteen years, it's so much more important. Tommy was already set for life to leave this town, but having her help would make her dream of an acceptance letter from University of Pennsylvania.

          Tommy wasn't friends with Brianne just for this reason... but it sure as hell did feel good knowing that the years she spent listening to Brianne prattle on about her boyfriend and the newest season of The Bachelorette wasn't for nothing.

          "Brianne!" Tommy plastered a smile on her bright and cheery face.

          The two had seen each other not even two full days ago and yet the two embraced like it had been months since their last interaction. It was always a sweet gesture between the two, gave Tommy something to smile about before the service.

          When the two pulled away, Brianne gripped Tommy's hand and pulled her over towards the back of the church where no one would be listening in on them. They did this often when there was new gossip on the horizon, and in no way did they need eavesdropping adults to know their high school secrets.

          "Okay, so I know you're not big on parties-"

          "Bri-"

          "Just hear me out!" She begged. "Donnie is having one tonight and I really think that you could use a good time. I mean, you know, after..."

          "After Jason?" Tommy filled in the blank.

          Brianne meant well, Tommy knew, but there were several flaws with her suggestion. For starters, Tommy really wasn't a party person. While many of the kids at school were wasted within the first fifteen minutes, Tommy never let herself blackout which made people find her a bit of a downer where that was concerned. Secondly, Brianne wasn't exactly aware of the fact that Tommy wasn't as upset about the breakup as she thought her to be.