3 | fake

🥀

🥀

It's a Beauty thing to believe.

🥀

"Alright students. You all have to read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller for this week's reading. I want a full detailed report on Friday."

This triggers a few mixed responses to erupt in my class of 9th graders. The few students who like reading instantly light up, excited at the prospect of a new book. The remaining majority groan, already thinking about the inevitable cancellation of plans to finish the book. I smirk at them as one of the boys raises his hand.

"Yes, Damien, what's your doubt?"

He smirks and leans back on his table, "What if we fail to do it by this week, ma'am?"

A few snickers echo around the room as his friends encourage him to go on.

"See, we have this party on Friday and we're all going. Maybe you can extend the deadline a bit?"

Being the most likeable, friendly and open teacher of Sacred Hearts High School, and I say this with pride, has its downfalls. And this is one of them. The students, once they get too comfortable with you, tend to ask you such favours from time to time.

"Then you can kiss your 'A' goodbye. Do you want that?" I smirk.

His smirk falters before coming back up, strong.

"I don't mind an occasional B," he says. A few hoots sound around the class. I look at him laughing with his friends and I decide to take a different route.

"Hey, Samantha? Are you also going to the party?" I ask her. Samantha is a quiet girl and usually sits in the front of the class. Today being no exception. Damien's smirk falls as he realises what I'm doing.

"No ma'am."

"So, unlike Damien here, grades are important to you, right?"

She quickly nods, "Yes. I don't like people who don't take their grades seriously."

Someone from the back of the class coughs and shouts, "Nerd."

Immediately, Damien's head twists to glare at the guy who said it. I smirk internally as I watch Samantha duck her head in embarrassment and Damien silently defending her with his eyes.

"Ma'am. I don't need the deadline extension. I'll do it on time," he says, watching Samantha from the corner of his eye. A small smile slowly emerges on her face, causing Damien's face to split open into a full wide smile. He looks at me gratefully and I simply wink at him.

The ring indicating the end of class rings through the school and the students start packing their belongings. As everyone leaves, Damien lingers behind. I turn to look at him to find him rubbing the back of his neck nervously.