Chapter 17:What Now?

(Gibbs POV)

I pulled into the driveway of my home, after a long day at work. When Rogue first came home after...well after the incident. I had realized she had gotten depressed, I didn't think much of it until I remembered the pup she had towered over and protected in the ring, that night. It was strange and difficult to understand, why she had laid down her life for this animal she barely knew. So of course I went to Ducky for an analysis, he stated that she might have saw herself in the pup that night and didn't want it to become whatever she had. Then he reminded me he only did analysis's on humans and not K-9's, but I think he might have gotten it right.

So, I had Ziver and Tony head down to ASPCA and retrieve the little dog. And maybe just maybe this pup, could be what sets her mind straight. I sighed and shut of the ignition to my car. I pulled the keys out and opened the door, the old black and white TV that I had left on for Rogue, could be seen still playing through the large window of the house. I shut the door quietly and walked up to the enterance, I always kept it unlocked, the real secret? I honestly didn't want to worry about where the damn key was all the time. I slowly turned the knob and headed inside, the warm air quickly surrounded me and I shut the door quietly behind me. I walked a few paces, before spotting Rogue asleep on the large dog bed I had gotten her.

I didn't want her to be lying on a hard floor, and after what she had gone through she deserved it. Walking a little closer I noticed the little pup snuggled under her jaw. Her head was resting over it, as if to protect it from anything that came her way. The pup must've sensed me because it raised it's sleepy head and looked up at me. I brought my finger to my lips, motioning for it to stay quiet and to my surprise it dropped its head back down and closed it's eyes.

I smiled and dropped my hand back down. I walked past the two and to the basement door. I opened it up and descended down the stairs to clear my mind of the day.

(Rogues POV)

I slowly fluttered my eyes open and raised my head from peanuts body. He was still fast asleep, I didn't blame him, it was a long day, hell a long week. I steadily rose from the bed and watched peanuts body, at a slow pace, tumble down to the middle of the bed. I stepped off the large area, removing my weight, I watched the bed rise once more. The only sunken in part was in the middle underneath Peanuts small body. I trotted to the kitchen and realized the basement door was open, it wasn't open when I had fallen asleep, which only means that Gibbs was back. I took in a deep breath and walked over to the door. I kept my mind clear, not thinking about anything, in order to keep myself calm.

I peered through the door and spotted Gibbs working on what looked like a large boat. I let out a quiet sneeze, to let him know I was there. Gibbs looked up from his work and smiled at me.

"Have a nice nap?" he asked, as he began sanding the wood once more. I lowered my head and watched him as he moved the paper with the grain. After a few short minutes he stopped moving his hand and took in a deep breath. "You can come down here ya know" he spoke, not looking up from his boat. I let out a huff and he glanced back up at me. "Ya, I know" he replied, sounding sad. He walked over to his work table and set the paper down.

He headed over to the stairs and began climbing them, when he reached the top he patted my head and got down on one of his knees. He gently grabbed each side of my face and stared into my eyes intently. "I will never hurt you, got it?" he asked, I replied by pushing my forehead into his face. He let out a sigh and kissed the top of my head. "We'll get through this together, you and I" he added, before standing back up. He walked past me and into the living room where he sat down on the couch. I glanced back down at the basement, I felt a flashback coming so I quickly turned and trotted back into the living room.