Ch. 3: Magic Goes Very Wrong And Fable Cares Not

"Have you ever heard of the god of the forest?"

Fable blinked in surprise. "Hold on a moment, what are you implying?"

"Oh, I think you can work that one out for yourself."

"So- hold on, so- wait, are you saying I've been having tea with a god?"

Cedar tapped his chin. "I'd say that's exactly what I'm saying, yes."

Fable waved her hands in a gesture that seemed to convey nothing but confusion. "Why though?"

"Why what?"

"Why would a literal god take the time of of doing god things to go chill in some backwater forest and trade stories with a random tailor's daughter?"

"Well, I'm the god of the forest and of stories, not of being busy. I like to do the things I find fun."

"I mean, that's fair. Still though, why would you care what I have to say?"

"A few reasons, actually. Firstly, you're very good at telling stories and you know more than the people in every other town I've visited. Secondly, you're fun to talk to and you've got dream you won't give up. Thirdly, you're very polite and you care about the forest."

"I suppose those are valid reasons."

"Yes, they are. Now, since you've given me a gift and told me many stories, I'd like to give something back to you. Any wish you ask for, I'll grant to the best of my ability. I just can't do anything crazy like make you a god or give you the Rosethorne sword or something like that."

"Makes sense. But... anything, to the best of your ability?"

"Yep."

"What about magic?"

"Magic? What do you mean?"

"I want to be a mage, if that's something you can do. If I can show innate magical talent and dedication, then the committee at Tanzim's will let me in even without prior training."

"Mhm... well it's certainly doable, but I'm not sure if you want your magic to come from me specifically."

"Why not? Is it not something you can do? I can find some other way-"

"Oh, no, it's not that- it's just that magic from a god of the wood isn't going to work too well when it's not being used in nature. If you're in too urban of a setting, the magic might go a bit, uh, barmy."

"How do you mean? Like, barmy as in evil, or barmy as in wonky?"

"Barmy as in wonky. I guess you'd classify as a wild mage- or would that be a wild warlock? Your magic would be coming from a god, so..."

"Wait, but is it doable? Is magic something you can grant?"

"I mean... if you don't mind it being a little glitchy, then yeah."

"Nifty."

"Ok then. Hold out your hands, like this."

"Like yeah?" Fable held her hands in front of her with her palms facing up, like she waiting waiting for something to be dropped into her hands.

"Exactly. Now, hold on a moment like that. Fair warning, it might burn your hands a bit."

"I don't mind it."

Cedar brought his hands together and a soft white glow started from the center of his palms, spreading out until there was a miniature ball of light between his hands. Then, he took the ball and pressed it into Fable's own hands.