~1~ New Kid

Davey

Well here it is. The World High School. One of the first things I thought when I heard the the name was "wow that's a really dumb name for a high school." I probably could've thought of a better name. They could've called this place "School high school" and it still would've been a better name.

It surely isn't the only high school in the world, but it's a huge school. Mom told me it has about two thousand kids. That's way to many people for my liking but I didn't really have a choice.

Dad got injured in an accident at work so we had to move to Manhattan so he could be closer to his new job. I didn't mind much, it was a nice city. We used to live in Albany but I didn't like it much.

The World High School was composed of many large brick buildings. The windows were high and the doors were large. It looks like a nice enough place. Students filed in and out of the entrance. Some sit on the steps in front of the building, while others stand under trees and talk with friends.

I stand near the entrance with Sarah and Les. Sarah is a senior, I'm a junior, and Les is a freshman. Les is on his phone texting his girlfriend Sally from Albany. He wasn't thrilled about the move, unlike me and Sarah.

"What classes do you have Davey?" Sarah asks.

"Well I've got AP Calculus, AP Government, AP Literature, Lunch, AP Physics, Film and TV, and Journalism."

"Jesus do you need that many AP classes?"

I just shrug at her. She sighs. We stand there in silence until Les breaks it.

"God people suck."

"What happened now?" I ask.

"Some people are dead naming Sally." Les balls his fists.

I reach over and pat his shoulder. "That really sucks."

"Yeah I just don't get why people can't respect her." He has tears in his eyes now.

"Hey, why don't we invite her over this weekend? We can all go shopping?" Sarah asks.

This makes Les smile. "Yeah that sounds good, I'll ask her." He goes back to texting. Me and Sarah look up at each other, smile, and then fist bump.

The bell rings and the three of us do finger guns at each other. Thankfully I know where my classes are because we toured the school a couple days ago. AP Calculus is on the second floor of building B.

When I walk into the classroom it's already pretty full. I find an empty desk at the back of the room. I get out my materials and then play Among Us on my phone.

The bell rings and the teacher starts the class. It's the first day so it's mostly introductions and the class syllabus. About ten minutes into class a boy loudly stumbles into class.

"Mr.Higgins." The teacher Mr.Adams says rolling his eyes. "I hoped when I saw your name on my attendance sheet it was printed wrong. I guess I was mistaken."

"Ya can't get rid of me that easily mista'!" The boy says smiling. The rude comment seemed to fly right by him. The boy is about 5'10 with brown curly hair. His voice was laced with something between a New York and Italian accent. Based on his looks and voice alone I would say he's from Italy, but moved here when he was young.