~8~ Studying and Roadtrips

(this chapter is mostly Sprace)

Davey

Jack and I are both in the same AP Government class so sometimes we study together. It isn't the easiest class so his help is greatly appreciated. He gets distracted a lot but I don't mind, I could listen to him talk for hours.

I'm sitting at the table in the library flipping through notes. Miss Medda inherited the house and everything in it from her parents. Her family owned a tabacco company a long time ago and sold it for a huge profit. Miss Medda used some of that to buy her theater where she spends most of her time working.

The house is more like a mansion. It's way to big for just Jack, Miss Medda, and Crutchie but they make it work. The Library is a large room with many shelves to hold the books overflowing them. It's my favorite room in the whole house.

"Daveyyyyyyyy" Jack whines.

"Jackkkkkkkkk" I reply, mocking him a bit.

"Can we take a break?"

"Jack we started fifteen minutes ago."

"Oh come on." He sighs. "We have all day." He picks me up from out of my chair and throws me over his shoulder.

"Is this really necessary?" I lightly punch his back.

"Yes." He starts to carry me out of the library and towards the living room. "You work to much. Let's take a couple of hours to relax. Then we can get back to work."

I sigh. It's not a bad idea. Plus I get to spend more time with Jack. "Fine." I can tell he's smiling. We're not going to get anything done today.

——————
Race

"Let's go on a road trip he says, it'll be fun he says." I point out the front windshield of the car. We've been stuck in a traffic jam for about and hour now. "This sure is a lot of fun." I cross my arms and slump in my seat.

"You act like I control the traffic." Spot says rolling his eyes. "And it ain't my fault that your favorite ice cream shop is three hours away from Manhattan. Sue me for doing something nice."

"Well I told you that I didn't care what Ice Cream shop we went to. You were the one who wanted to go to this one."

"Well I just so happen to enjoy the ice cream there. Don't act like you had anything better to do." I sigh. He's right. This place does have the best ice cream.

It's not that I mind being on a road trip with Spot or getting ice cream from my favorite shop. I just really hate sitting down for too long. Driving all the way to Philadelphia doesn't help either.

The traffic seems to be clearing up. We're only about fifteen minutes from the shop. Spot shouts at the other drivers as he drives because he has terrible road rage.

We park in front of the shop and get out of the car. The inside of the parlor has a pink checkerboard theme going on. It has a very 50's aesthetic.

We order our ice cream. I get a scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough and a scoop of cookies and cream in a waffle cone. Spot gets two scoops of Cherry in a sugar cone. We pay and exit the shop.

Every time we come here, we wander the streets of the small town. We look through shop windows and scare nearby birds. Eventually we stop at our favorite park and sit at a bench.

The bench overlooks the big lake in the center of the park. Children are playing a big game of tag, Families are taking photos, and couples are having picnics. I see a few people feeding the ducks and walking their dogs.