Bloom in My Heart (8)

Silence greeted Aizawa. But that was all the answer he needed. Aizawa gazed down at Bakugou's sullen form and his eyes widened on seeing Bakugou's shoulders shaking.

With soft steps that held urgency, Aizawa sat down on the edge of Bakugou's bed, the mattress dipping slightly. The noirette hesitated slightly before reaching over and wrapping his arms around the blondie's weakened frame.

The shaking eased down, but a rough hack escaped him, and a few soft petals spat out onto Aizawa's shoulder. The teacher slowly pulled back noticing the periwinkle petals and a single red-white one intermixed.

"Kid......"

"Stop," Bakugou muttered, his gaze still directed at the sheets. A silence issued between the two of them.

"..."

"I had a friend once."

"..."

Aizawa paused before parting his lips to speak again. "He..... he was a good friend."

"So?"

"He had Hanahaki." At these words, Bakugou looked up. "He was a good man. Fell in love with a girl, who didn't even know he existed." Aizawa ran a hand through his hair. "He coughed petals up just like you did. Each night he would throw them up, before crying to me over the phone. They were pretty flowers too... Pure white petals. He was a stupid fool." Aizawa gave a sad chuckle. "But he was our stupid fool. I searched day and night for a cure. Poured over books and whatever else was there, but couldn't find anything to help him. He died about 5 months later. I was by his side the whole time, but even when he died, he couldn't forget the girl." Aizawa's eyes were misty and he rubbed a hand across them.

"Well... what I'm trying to say is, Bakugou, I want to help. I really do. I can't stand to see another person I care for die like this."

Bakugou dumbly nodded, not knowing what to do or say.

"I see it in your eyes kid. I know quite a bit more about Hanahaki than what you'd think. You do adore your parents, so much that you crave affection from them... but the desire and love in your eyes are for someone else."

Aizawa should have stepped in earlier when he saw the petals in Bakugou's house. The dark-eyed male felt useless at the fact he let this go on for so long. But... he just didn't want to be right, again. However, now Aizawa wished more than ever he had realized what was going on in the beginning and interfered. They would have more than one solution now.

Aizawa knew there was a chance, even if Bakugou never got love from his parents. Maybe just maybe Bakugou could live. The strongest thing that could overpower desire and love for some, is love.... for yourself. Not just the fearless shield Bakugou put up, but actual true confidence and self-love.

The noirette sat in silence after his last words. Aizawa couldn't do much for Bakugou, but you bet he'd do whatever he was able to. Seeing the red-white petal on the clean sheets, Aizawa stopped doubting his suspicions and doubts. Bakugou wasn't in a state where he needed more questioning. The teacher was about 80% sure the blondie had fallen for Todoroki. The two had gotten surprisingly closer over the months and the petal's red-white color was a big tip-off. Todoroki's desperate pleas from earlier only furthered his claim.

'If the kid learns to overcome his love and love himself, the Hanahaki would go away. And if Todoroki requits his love that will only further heal him. Over time Bakugou will heal. Haa... Shiroi I couldn't save you, but this kid has a chance. I need to help him.'

Aizawa had seen theories of self-love in old documents the nights he had poured over them. Aizawa had tried so hard to make Shiroi appreciate himself, but nothing could've been done. The more Aizawa pushed Shiroi to, the further the other would pull back. Self-love didn't come automatically.