Chapter 3 - Demons

Present 

 Rosalyn

I smoothed down my plain knee-length skirt before putting on my brown knee-length coat. I looked at my appearance in the mirror. My dark brown hair hung around my shoulder limply, and my face was done with makeup. I caressed my stomach over the coat that looked almost flat. I was four months pregnant, but my baby bump was hidden under my clothes and I was happy with it. I was not embarrassed about being pregnant but about the baby’s father. Three months ago there was a rumor that I was pregnant with Dave Francis's child, and Dave didn’t stop this rumor because he knew I didn’t want Travis to know about this baby. And I would never let him know about this. 

Did he remember that night? 

“Alright, we’ll be there in fifteen minutes,” Avika said on the phone. “No, thanks though. We have our driver.” She disconnected the call and looked at me. “Are you okay, Rosa?” 

I frowned. “Yup, everything is okay.” 

She scrutinized me. I hate this pitiable look. “How do you act so beautifully as if nothing is happening in your life? Your father’s disease, your devastated brother, your depressed nephew, and….” She held my eyes. “Your psycho fiancé.” 

Despite that, there was a beautiful thing in my life. Dave Francis, my best friend. 

“I’m not acting,” I said and grabbed my purse before heading to the elevator. I didn’t enjoy talking about my personal life with anyone else.

“Wait, I’m coming,” Avika shouted from behind and followed me. We stepped into the elevator before pressing the down button. 

After a moment, the elevator ding opened, and we got out before walking to the exit gate. Shannon had already been waiting for us out of the hotel. When he saw us coming, he immediately opened the door for me. “Good morning, Ma’am,” he greeted, smiling.

“Good morning, Shannon.” I nodded and sat in the car. Avika took a seat next to me. After a moment, Shannon drove away. I looked out through the window. It was my last time in Las Vegas. After that, I would never be here. Never! I didn’t want to see his face ever again. Last night! I closed my eyes. I would have kissed him back if he would not have withdrawn his mouth back. 

How could his kiss feel so addictive? How could I give my heart to someone who didn’t have a heart at all? He was heartless. 

“Rosa,” Avika called. “We’ve arrived, shall we go?” 

“Of course,” I said and got out of the car. “Have you prepared for the papers, I asked you yesterday?” 

She nodded and handed me a brown file. “Here you go.” 

Grabbing the file, we headed to the building. Since I had a meeting, Avika was not allowed in the hall. She was going to stay down in the waiting room. Mr. Watson had informed me that today he was going to introduce me to his other business partner. Watson was famous across the USA for its innovative technologies in the market. I and Dave had invested in digital marketing. I was hoping this conference would go smoothly. 

But somewhere I was distracted because of yesterday’s incident. Travis had almost shaken me. He was my biggest fear, but I was wondering how long? One day, I should have to learn how to face him. Shaking my head, I walked to the receptionist. “Excuse me.” 

“Yes, how can I help you, Ma’am?” 

“Could you help me meet Mr. Watson? I have a meeting with him.”

“Wait a moment,” she said politely. After a while. “May I take your name?” 

“Sure, it’s Rosalyn Capone.”