Chapter 8 - Bridge

Present

Rosalyn 

“Bridge!” I blurted out when I got the answer after four minutes.

‘A man walks over, a man walks under, in times of war he burns asunder.’ That means a man walks over the bridge and a man walks under the bridge and at the time of war the bridge breaks down and he buries under the bridge. 

But why did he choose a bridge? Was he going to hurt Roy there? Oh my god! My mind was alarmed, and I immediately ordered the driver, “take me to the nearest bridge right away!”

He gave me a nod before taking back the car and turned to the right. I chewed the corner of my lip as every moment of panic was hitting my chest harder and harder. Roy, please be safe. You know how to fight, don’t you? I closed my eyes and sighed defeated but still; he was only five years old. My brother would be dead if anything happens to my nephew. Rowan didn’t live with his son because Roy didn’t like being around his father. He hates his father. But Rowan loved his son more than his own life and it would kill if anything happens to Roy.

I jerked when the car stopped on the side of the road. I looked through the window, catching sight of the Bridge. Immediately I got out of the car and looked around but there was no sign of any human. What the heck! I moved further, watching the several vehicles passing by, but not a single one stopped. I thought Travis would bring Roy here, but they were nowhere to be seen.

Where the hell are they?

After scanning around, I caught something unexpected. A pink balloon was tied to the railing of the bridge. Crossing the path, I reached the balloon and found a small box. I bent down and grabbed the box and read the caption over it.

‘Do you remember?’

Frowning, I opened the box and my eyes widened when I found a small box of ice cream inside. Strawberry flavor, my favorite. He still remembered that! I took out a letter and read.

‘Do you remember that night at Brooklyn Bridge? Just me and you and our first kiss.’

I drew a deep breath, gripping the paper in my hand, and my lips trembled as I continued….

‘When I brought you ice cream and when you got excited and when you hugged me. Since then I have realized what it feels like. Seeing you happy that day made my heart flutter for the very first time. I thought every woman is not the same, some of them know love and loyalty. But who knew that you would be the biggest bitch!’ 

I felt a stab in my heart.

‘You betrayed me and I will never forgive you! I was learning to trust women, but you broke it and you have to bear the consequences!’

A small tear from my eyes dropped over the paper, making it wet.

‘You haven’t noticed your nephew's tie yet? I bet you haven’t! Look, darling. It might give you a shock.’

I immediately took out a white tie and panic hit my chest when I found several spots of blood on it.

No! No! No! He could not! Travis, you could not!

“Ma’am…” the driver caught my forearm when I was about to drop to my knees.

Gripping the tie I begged him, “please take me to your boss, please…” I lost my voice, wheezing. My chest tightened and my breath became shallower. Shit! My inhaler! I patted my coat’s pocket but there was nothing inside.

Where is my inhaler!

“Ma’am…” the driver said, worried. “Are you okay?” 

I looked at the driver. “My….inhaler…” I wheezed. God, it was becoming worse. I reached the car and got inside. Grabbing my purse, I pulled out the inhaler before taking a few puffs, relieving myself. But it lasted for a few seconds when my vision went blurry, and I saw black.