Chapter 2:Life Without Kayti

• Dedicated to Sadie!!!!!!!

From when I was five to now I didn't have her in my life. I'm twelve now. My name is Hailey Cronic and I miss my sister. Thing is, I keep doubting the fact I had a sister more everyday. Mom has denied I even had one. So has Dad. I remember her though. I remember her vaguely.

~Saturday~

I jumped out of my bed. It was the same routine: Get dressed, head downstairs, eat breakfast, brush teeth, and on weekdays, go to the bus stop. But no, it wasn't a weekday. It was my only day of freedom. Saturday. I got dressed, then headed out of my room, finding myself staring with curiosity at the empty room across from mine: the room I believed was Kayti's. I always saw it and remembered my clearest memory: the one when she warned me. I always held that to my heart, as though that was reality. It was. At least I think.

I walked down stairs and ate breakfast. Mom was still in bed. So was Dad. I had toast and waffles. Nothing much. I made them by myself like I did every morning.

Everyday I would ask Mom or Dad about Kayti's until they broke, but they never did. They just denied, denied, denied. I knew they were lying. I knew it. I watched as Mom and Dad came downstairs. "So, where's Kayti?" I asked. I never had asked them in the morning. I didn't dare. But today I wanted my sister. I knew that today I would get answers. "The closet... No what sister? What? Who's Kayti?" Mom said sleepily, but Dad was wide awake and his eyes widened as I zoomed past them to Mom's closet.

I didn't dare step into Mom and Dad's room until now, and I admit I was nervous, but I had to act fast. "Don't you... Come down..." Dad stammered. He was never the tough type. I walked over to the closet. The mysterious closet. The closet to answer my question about my lost sister. all I found in it was a video camera, the rest was empty. Dad finally caught me and turned white as he saw the camera in my hands. That's when I knew what to do. I jumped out the open window next to the closet.