Chapter Seventeen

Hermione was pleased to get out of the castle a few days later. The sky was clear, pale grey, and the grass was springy and damp underfoot as she set off with Harry and Ron for their first ever Care of Magical Creatures class.

Ron and Hermione weren't speaking to each other due to his utter refusal to understand that Crookshanks was behaving as cats do. He was the one who ought to take better care of Scabbers, rather than berating her ginger pet.

Hagrid was waiting for the class at the door of his hut. He stood in his moleskin overcoat, with Fang the boarhound at his heels, looking impatient to start.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" he called. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

Hagrid led them to the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest and the students found themselves outside a kind of paddock. There was a bit of a to-do when he realised no one had been able to open their books ("yeh've got ter stroke 'em") and Draco, who wasn't the biggest fan of Hagrid anyway, had said loudly, "Oh really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

Eventually, Hagrid was able to get back on track with his lesson plan and told them all about Hippogriffs, which were extremely bizarre creatures. They had the bodies, hind legs and tails of horses, but the front legs, wings and heads of what seemed to be giant eagles, with cruel, steel-coloured beaks and large, brilliantly orange eyes. The talons on their front legs were half a foot long and deadly looking.

Hermione was initially concerned about how dangerous these animals could be, but was soon reassured as Harry not only petted one, he even rode on its back. She risked a glance towards Draco and realised, too late, that he had been a little too reassured by Harry's experience.

"This is very easy," Draco drawled. "I knew it must have been, if Potter could do it... I bet you're not dangerous at all, are you? You ugly, great brute?"

It happened in a flash of steely talons; Draco let out a scream and next moment, Hagrid was wrestling the Hippogriff back into his collar as he strained to get to Draco, who lay curled in the grass, blood blossoming over his robes.

"I'm dying!" he yelled, as the class panicked. "I'm dying, look at me! It's killed me!"

Hermione's breath caught and she made to run towards him. Noticing Harry and Ron looking oddly at her, she changed direction and veered towards the gate, pulling it open for Hagrid to carry Draco through. As they passed, Hermione saw that there was a long, deep gash in Draco's arm. Blood splattered the grass and Hagrid ran with him, up the slope towards the castle.

Very shaken, the Care of Magical Creatures class followed at a slow walk. Hermione kept time with them and hated every second. The Slytherins were all shouting about Hagrid and she noticed an uncomfortable feeling bloom in the pit of her stomach when Pansy Parkinson announced she was going to check on Draco.

Hermione was frustrated that she hadn't been able to sneak into the hospital wing to visit Draco. Whilst, logically, she knew that Madam Pomfrey would easily be able to heal the cut, she still couldn't help but worry excessively. That was, until she noticed Draco's swagger as he reappeared in classes late on Thursday morning.

"How is it Draco?" simpered Pansy. "Does it hurt much?"

"Yeah," said Draco, looking around the classroom to find Hermione. He gazed briefly at her with large puppy dog eyes. She narrowed hers.

They were making a new potion in their lesson today and Draco set up his cauldron right next to Hermione, Harry, and Ron. He winked at her when everyone else had turned towards Snape.