Chapter Twenty

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it. Hagrid.

Reflecting back, it was this letter that set off a sequence of events which, ultimately, led Hermione, Harry, and Ron to be the hospital wing's current residents. Yet again.

She could hardly believe half the things that had come to light in less than twenty-four hours. Sirius Black was innocent, Harry had a godfather, Remus Lupin really was a werewolf, Peter Pettigrew had betrayed the Potters, and he had escaped for a second time.

For a while it had felt as though they had lost, yet again. Hermione recognised the familiar black pit steadily building in her stomach, the sense of helplessness that never ceased. That was, until Dumbledore reminded her of the invaluable item she currently possessed.

"Miss Granger, three turns should do it."

Hermione and Harry had just slipped back inside the ward and, as she crept into her bed, she took a moment to acknowledge what they had achieved. Next second, Madam Pomfrey had come striding back out of her office.

"Did I hear the Headmaster leaving? Am I allowed to look after my patients now?"

She was in a very bad mood. Hermione and Harry thought it was best to accept their chocolate quietly. Madam Pomfrey stood over them, making sure they ate it, but Hermione could hardly swallow. She and Harry were waiting, listening, their nerves jangling.

As they took their fourth piece of chocolate, they heard a distant roar of fury echoing from somewhere above them. The voices became louder and she could tell it was Snape.

Cornelius Fudge, Snape, and Dumbledore came striding into the ward. Dumbledore alone looked calm. Indeed, he looked as though he was quite enjoying himself. Fudge appeared angry. But Snape was apoplectic.

"OUT WITH IT POTTER!" he bellowed. "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"See here, Snape, be reasonable," said Fudge. "This door's been locked, we just saw –"

"THEY HELPED HIM ESCAPE, I KNOW IT!" Snape howled, pointing at Hermione and Harry. His face was twisted, spit was flying from his mouth.

"Calm down, man!" Fudge barked. "You're talking nonsense!"

"YOU DON'T KNOW POTTER!" shrieked Snape. "HE DID IT. I KNOW HE DID IT."

"That will do, Severus," said Dumbledore quietly. "Think about what you are saying. Unless you are suggesting that Harry and Hermione are able to be in two places at once, I'm afraid I don't see any point in troubling them further."

Snape stood there, seething, staring from Fudge, who looked thoroughly shocked at his behaviour, to Dumbledore, whose eyes were twinkling behind his glasses. He whirled about, robes swishing behind him, and stormed from the ward.

When Hermione, Harry, and Ron left the hospital wing at noon next day, it was to find an almost deserted castle. The sweltering heat and the end of exams meant that everyone was taking full advantage of another Hogsmeade visit.

The trio spent some time together, simply lazing beside the lake, watching the giant squid waving its tentacles happily above the water. Harry had run off quickly once he heard that Lupin had resigned and was due to leave Hogwarts imminently, so Hermione took her moment and slipped away from Ron, heading to the library. She wasn't sure whether Draco would be there, given the glorious day, but she wanted to try anyway.

Almost running towards their nook, Hermione beamed with relief. "You're here!"

Draco couldn't help but smile back at her. "Snape was in a foul mood this morning and I had a hunch it was because of you and the gruesome twosome."

"Oh yes, he was raging when he left the hospital wing last night!"

"Ah good, the hospital wing again, it's about time the Gryffindors moved their common room somewhere more appropriate."

Hermione scowled but took him through everything that had happened up to the point they first arrived in the ward.

"But, I heard Black had escaped?"

"True, and there's really quite a simple explanation for that," she told him.

"Oh yes?"

"Well, you know I've been exhausted all year?"

"Yes, Granger. You've fallen asleep on me numerous times now. Like I've said before, I had come to expect more from our friendship."

Ignoring him, Hermione continued, "So, Professor Dumbledore gave me permission to use a time-turner. I've been using it to manage my timetable, and that meant –"

"I'm sorry," Draco interrupted, staring incredulously. "What now? Please, just repeat that."

"I've been using a – "

Draco cut her off with a wave of his hand. "Actually no, I don't need to hear those words again. You've been using a time-turner to attend extra lessons."

Hermione opened her mouth and then closed it again.

"H-how was this sanctioned by the Ministry? How did Dumbledore say this was okay? Actually, how could anyone say this was okay?"

"It's very important that I achieve a well-rounded education?" Hermione suggested.

"Granger, I have no words. You're a liability."

"Anyway, you're missing the entire point here," she chided. "The reason Buckbeak and Sirius escaped was because Harry and I used said time-turner to go back in time and sort out this whole mess."

He paused. Blinking rapidly. "Time-related magic is unstable. You're meant to avoid serious breaches of time law. I'm fairly certain what you just told me would count as, you know, a breach."

"I know what I'm doing Draco! We only went back three hours and we didn't engage with our past selves. Mostly. I didn't, anyway."

"Please, don't tell me."

Hermione smiled. "Anyway, you'll be pleased to know I went to see Professor McGonagall this morning; I've decided to drop Muggle Studies. Honestly, the time-turner was driving me mad. Without that and Divination, I'll be able to have a normal timetable again."

"Thank Merlin," Draco raised his hands to the sky dramatically.

"You're ridiculous," she laughed, poking his ribs. "What ever will I do without you for another whole summer?"

"I imagine it will be touch and go at points, but I'm sure you can make it through the pain".

This year, as his self-proclaimed goodbye present, Draco was gifted with not one but two hugs. He was also adamant that the kiss to his cheek briefly caught the corner of his lips.