Chapter Ten

The day rushed in faster than the night, as though it hurried to take its place. You could imagine the sun pleading impatiently to the moon as streaks of a faded orange stained the robust sky as early as five in the morning. The nights at school seemed a little too short while still being interrupted by the humming of the mosquitoes to an unfamiliar song. Most people had the luxury of staying padded under the protection of a mosquito net, but few others weren't lucky.

School bells rang, sending the usual jittery. Everyone rolled into class feeling a little less merry. The chattering remained the same as a new story had been glued to everyone's lips; Martins raped Mary. No teacher brought up the talk during classes but sure did throw him a disappointed stare. Classes were slow for that day; hours and hours of long lectures but the walk clock still read eleven o'clock.

When the detective poked her head through the door inviting herself in, everyone knew it was to call out another suspect for interrogation. Classes stopped abruptly before then, to ensure the process of the investigation was uninterrupted even though few stubborn teachers managed to squeeze in extra hours of classes during the afternoon prep and night prep.

The detective stepped into the class, interrupting a maths class and she didn't seem very happy. A stern and more serious look cloaked her simplicity. Her bulgy eyes paraded the class until she found him, seated at the back seat surrounded by his friends in a half circle.

"Martins Adenuga, follow me!" She instructed. It was a different format from the other times people were questioned. He slowly stood up and felt the stares trace his body move. His steps were calculated, swaying a hand across the other in a stylish swagger. His hair had the obsidian black shade, the hair above his head stood in grace, stuck to it like it were attached in layers. The lower part however, was clean shaved. His white shirt had been tucked in, having the edges spike up in a thin line. He was neat and certainly not a truant. Not for once can an evident speck of dust be spotted on his shoes.

He picked up his red blazers and flung it over his shoulders. Obliging obediently to the call of the detective, he waltzed towards the front and had his wrists locked together with a handcuff by the detective. Ashley couldn't watch the gore, she wrapped her hands over her face crying silently.

Stella was seated beside Mary's empty chair which leaned idly on the wall, coated with dust. It was left that way since Mary's disappearance as no one sat on it or even leaned on it. Her presence still seemed fresh, hovering around that seat like how the spirits of the dead protect their own. Stella ran her eyes from Martins, who was being led out through the front door made of pure wood, to Ashley who sat adjacent in tears. She fiddled with her pen, making a mental note to check the contents of the memory card later that day. She didn't know how yet, but an opportunity would present itself. It was not safe having the card with herself as well. The sooner she handed it over to the detective anonymously, the better.

*****

Everywhere in school smelled of an event. There were large speakers, canopies being mounted to form dome shapes on metal poles, microphones being tested and some parents driving in in sophisticated modernized cars. The day of the quiz competition had finally arrived and the multipurpose hall was the venue of the event.

The order of the event was straightforward as explained by the Quiz Master, Mr John. There were two categories; Junior and Senior Categories for the Junior and Senior classes respectively. The Quiz started off with the Junior class and the nature of the quiz was made to accommodate Maths and English only. He held jealously the book from which he threw them questions lest anyone peeps into it.