01 - The Big Four

AN :

Thank you so much for the warm welcoming for the prologue !
Guest asked a good question as to Hiccup's spirit name and I get it can be confusing so I'll answer it here. I have a canon that the spirits' name are a deformation of their actual name (Sanderson ManSnoozie deformed into Sandman for instance), so finding Hiccup a name related to his new powers was kind of a challenge for me. I finally settled on Horren Blaze, Blaze being a added name for the fire and Horren coming from his middle name Horrendous. So his whole name as a spirit in this story is Hiccup Horren(dous) Haddock Blaze, he usually goes by Horren Blaze but his closest friends call him Hiccup as a nickname.

Hope it clarified the questions :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1 – The Big Four

The night was peaceful and chilly. A lonely figure was strolling on the roofs of the city, silently, thoughtful. His steps made the thin snow melting away. Some could have thought this lonely figure dressed with a black leather armor covered with coppery-auburn scales would have catch attention. If this young man had been human, surely he would have. But he was a spirit.

He had walked this earth for so many years, even though the first centuries of his life had been spent in exile, in the Hidden World, the secret world of dragons. Over two centuries among the winged reptiles allowed him to discover and master his powers, and after that he had left for adventure around the globe. He had discovered the world of spirits, met a few of them, then he had started to watch the human world.

It had changed over the time, so much he had troubles recognizing it sometimes. The twenty-first century couldn't be more different from the viking era, sometimes it felt like he had landed on another planet. Winter was the best season for his nostalgia, it was constantly bringing back hurtful memories, so he couldn't be more glad that spring was around the corner. Easter celebrations were in three days.

The snow he was looking at this night, it was sure to be the last of the year. While his mind was fogging with memories and wandering thoughts, he was suddenly brought back to reality as he spotted a lace of shining golden sand floating next to him. It was time for Sandman, and it made him smile. He appreciated the work of several spirits, but the Sandman's dreams were one of his favorites.

He started to run along the roof and into the air to chase at the golden dreamsand, staring in awe at the shining rays entering the houses and giving beautiful dreams to human children. When he thrust a hand into a lace, some of the sand swirled out and took the shape of a dragon, which started to fly and dance around him.

A new wave of nostalgia hit him, a softer one, bringing him back to the time where he himself was human, the time of vikings and dragons. He was not even surprise to see a skinny teenage boy take shape in the dream sand, riding the dragon and giggling. A Night Fury. It had been so long since he had last seen one of those. Living in the Hidden World with all the dragons had given him proof that his best friend had been the last of his kind.

Even though the dragon had built his family with his mate Light Fury, the breed has been mixed-blood, called Night Lights, and little by little genes inherited by their father had been lost in the blood until there was nothing left but Light Fury's genes.

Hiccup missed his best friend. It had been over a millenia since the black dragon had died of old age, after a long and happy life, but still. Hiccup had never forgotten the years he had spent with him as human, then as spirit. Until the end they had been friends.

* * *

Inside one of the houses, the golden dreamsand sipped through the window and floated towards the young girl who lived there. She loved unicorns. Her bedroom was the proof of that, it was covered with wallpaper, posters, drawings, figures and stuffed unicorns. She was hugging one in her sleep, while another one took shape in the dreamsand. Her chubby frame appeared on the mystic creature's back, galloping happily over the girl's head.