11 - In the dark of the night

Pitch had arrived. A cloud made of black sand was looming over the town, like a silent threat. Hiccup shifted into a dragon – much to Jamie's wonder – and nodded to Jack before he took off. Jack got the message and clenched his fists around his staff. Before following the dragon, he adressed the Guardians.

''Get Jamie out of here.''

''Be carreful, Jack !'' North called out after him before he prompted the others to go.

Neither of Tooth, Aster or him were in shape for a fight, but they would still make sure Jamie was safe.

Hiccup had started the fight but he barely had had the time to shoot a blasma blast that Pitch had already sent a wave of black sand and shadows to him, keeping him busy and away from his actual target. Jack tightened his grip on the staff and darted through the sky in try to catch up with them. It didn't took long for Pitch to spot him, and that made him grit his teeth.

''Jack Frost.''

He snickered before he lunged to him.

''Let's end this, shall we ?!''

Jack didn't let him go too close and blasted his ice lightning. Pitch stopped in his tracks and gathered his shadows around him to form a shield, efficiently blocking out the attack. Unlike the black sand, darkness was not affected by cold and frost.

''This little trick doesn't work on me anymore !'' The Boogeyman taunted.

He condensed this black aura around him, thicking the darkness to the point the ice bolts started to rebound on it, back towards their source.

Jack screamed when the shadows and bolts ended up exploding right in his face, propelling him back and tearing his staff from him. He was sent into a free-fall while dragon roars echoed in the sky, just like Pitch's sneering.

On the ground, the Guardians were feeling like they were running everywhere without knowing where to go. Aster seemed to know where he was heading, but that was just an impression as he was just as lost as them. Shadows were playing with them and their panic wasn't helping think straight. The bunny was hopping and running ahead, Jamie on his tail, Tooth following and running pretty fast despite her slim legs not being used to touch the ground, and behind them North was having troubles keeping up the pace, he was slowed down by his aching old back.

Just as Aster misled them into a dead-end, they heard the howling of the wind and spotted Jack falling from the sky... before he crashed on a dumpster and sprawled on the ground. His staff fell and bumped into a wall near by, landing next to him but out of his reach. They didn't wait to rush on him, Jamie the first, quickly followed by Aster, and the other Guardians joined in as the little boy tried to help the spirit up.

''Zat was good trry, Jack. A forr efforrt !'' North said as he patted Jack's back, unwillingly sending back to the ground.

''He's stronger.'' Jack said while trying to catch up his breath. ''I can't beat him.''

North and Tooth exchanged a worried look, they were loosing hope again, at least until Hiccup managed to get back to them. He tripped as he landed and quickly shifted back in a viking, and he offered his hand to Jack.

''You're stronger too, Jack. You have believers, now.''

His determined look was enough to tell the winter spirit he was not just talking about Jamie, but the Guardians too. Jack frowned and took his hand to get up, picking up his staff.

A new lightning bolt preceded Pitch's gloomy laugh, the Boogeyman's shadow started to circle them on the walls. Instinctively, the five spirits formed a circle, placing Jamie in the middle to protect him.