***3**

Cooking was a must where I grew up. From flipping pancakes to barbeque. You had to start learning to do the basic noodles by eight. By eleven you should prepare a breakfast of scramble eggs, buns, bacon with any fruit smoothie. My mom would say that you can't keep a good home or husband if you did not know how to cook.

She did not state how to get the husband though.

As a result I could bake simple stuff like scones, cakes, muffins and all the sugary goodness that was in the cookbooks she rarely used. She was a pro.

Earlier I passed up Martina's offer to hang out. Why. Cause I was working. Hugo Bakery and Delivery was what had been sustaining me. After arriving two weeks ago, my cash was running out and I needed a job. On my way back from picking supplies at a grocery store I saw that a vacancy for an extra baker. I went back to the grocery store picked some things a baker would need to bake scones. Whipped up my batter and went to my next door neighbor to bake in her oven. To her I was a university student who was just passing time in her beautiful city.

The next morning I rushed to the bakery so that I would be the first to meet the manager. The poster that advertised the job looked a little tattered. I meant little. This signified that the poster was here long ago. I thought that they would have already given the job to someone but also thought that if they had given the job out they would take the poster down. But they might have forgotten.

Pushing the door open with my elbow I stepped in. In my hands was a basket containing the scones  I baked the night before. I also borrowed the basket from my neighbor stating that I baked it for my boyfriend and it was for a picnic in the park. She gladly gave it to me. Nobody was in the store but I guessed that there was an office at the back where someone was seeing that the entrance was open.

Few seconds after I came in, some guy that looked like Jasper from Henry Danger stepped in to maybe get my order. I quickly told him I was not here for that and told him my mission. He showed me to a door that had 'Manager' written with gold coloured cursives. Thanking him I knocked on the door and stepped in.

The room had a large window on the opposite side of the room providing it with most of its light, a love seat at one end with a sleeping toddler on it. A steel table that look out of place in this place that smelt like sugar and flour. Some stuff was making a clutter on the table and a flour covered apron was on a coat rack by the door alongside some other coats.

I walked across the almost soft, beige rug to the table and introduced myself.

"Good morning, I am Mauve Brune and I here for the job offer I saw on the door outside"

The man whom I suspected is the Hugo, looked at me with a sour expression and spoke in the gruffiest voice ever

"You seem to be very young for the job of a baker, I mean children your age can't hold a spatula properly or come close to not burning any food left in their care."

"I am not like most kids" I pleaded

"And how I am I sure of that"

"You can try this out"

I removed the blanket covering the scones and pushed it to him. With an eyebrow raised he said

"And you expect me to eat that"

He had every right to doubt that the food was drugged or worse, poisoned. I mean I just came into his office claiming to need a job and then offered him scones. Anyone looking for some free food even though it's just pastries he sold, would definitely do that. I am looking for free food too but not that way.

In response I picked up a scone and ate it. When he seemed convinced he picked up one and ate too. I tried to hide my smile when his eyes widened and also when he said between bites

"This is good"

He said I had the job but I needed to prove it to him tomorrow and actually bake something in his oven under his watch. I told him I was going to go back to school on Monday and we agreed that I would work four times a week, Saturday a must and Sunday a no. He was going to be in church on Sunday with his family. The mention of church made me remember my family but that left my mind immediately he mentioned my paycheck. Paycheck comes weekly given that I worked my complete four days.

When we were done the scones were gone, the toddler was awake and on my lap sucking her thumb, I could here clatters in the kitchen when I left and the bakery was already receiving some customers. I acknowledged the same guy I met earlier, there was one other guy and a lady whose small lips managed to hold the huge stud right on the dip of her lips. I was halfway to my tiny apartment when I remembered that I left my neighbor's basket at the bakery.

Working at Hugo's was just the same. Except today though. I normally would try to think less about the very soft blue hairnet that I could poke through with my finger with a surprisingly very tight band for such a flimsy excuse of a hairnet. I've damaged two already. I would let my thoughts run like the train I followed to come here in the first place.

I would think about the food in the cafeteria, about Hugo's daughter, about my spray dyed hair that I needed to actually dye. That train would finally come to halt when the thought of home came back. I would try to continue my train but I will not budge like a virus glitched video. It would stay there while I sifted flour or whipped cream for the topping of someone's birthday cupcake.

But today was different. A smile constantly stayed in my heart and would try to manifest on my twitching lips. Evan had made me feel so happy that I wanted to cherish it even though the oven was acting tough.

One thing I learnt in my junior and some part of my senior years in school was that you are permitted to fantasize all you want about the boys you liked. And while creating your beautiful family in your head you should also know that he would not reciprocate or even notice you. Bottom line, your not allowed to hope.

I noticed that I was holding my breath when he was talking. When he was looking at the textbook I would study his features and when he looked at me I would quickly avert my eyes somewhere else. I scolded myself to stop and then focused.

He taught quite nicely and I learnt. And to be honest with you I was looking forward to my next class with my tutor.