Chapter 44-Talk

Leona's POV
I couldn't wipe away the grin off my face the whole way home. By the time I'd reached my apartment, it was around 1 pm. Meaning a solid day had gone by since I was last home. I had a shift later, so unfortunately I wasn't entirely free to just relax like I'd hope to be. Turning the key, I opened the door, immediately greeted by Zarah.

"Hey, did you have a good time?"

I blinked. "Uh, yeah. I did."

"Cool. What'd you do?"

Letting out a chuckle, I joked, "damn, Zarah. At least let me close the door before you bombard me with questions."

Flustered, she closed the door behind me and allowed me to take off my outside clothes. We sat down on the couch and I let out a sigh, prepared to answer the question but got interrupted by Zarah telling me she'd make us some tea. I'd managed to somehow not let the headache bother me when I was with Freya, although it was milder now, it still hurt.

Zarah soon come back with chamomile tea and put them down on a coaster. Then she gestured for me to answer her previous question. So I did.

"We went to a café, talked some shit out. Afterward, we went to her place, talked, got drunk, played a drinking game. We hung out and went to bed. Yeah, that's about it. Right, this morning we baked. It was fun."

She squinted her eyes and tilted her head, almost like she was trying to figure something out. It made me uneasy. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and raised an eyebrow. Encouraging her to just spit out what she wanted to say.

"Is that all?"

"What are you implying?"

"I feel like you're leaving something out," she clarified, gesturing for me to tell her what it was.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Even if I knew whether or not Freya was okay with me telling people what happened, telling people seemed too early. For now, I wanted this to stay between us. If that's what Freya wanted too. But Zarah still wasn't satisfied with my answer. And it was getting on my nerves. It wasn't her business.

"Nothing happened, Zarah. Leave it alone," I firmly stated. She shut her mouth and turned bright red before muttering an apology.

"Sorry. I was curious but I crossed a line."

I nodded. "It's fine."

We fell into a silence, neither of us uttering a word for a good few minutes. Then an idea, well, a question came into my head. Something I realized I'd never asked her about. Although I wasn't sure if asking her was crossing a line. However, my curiosity got the best of me and I blurted out the question.

"Hey, do you still have contact with Phoebe?" Also known as my ex.

"After she dumped me to spend all her time with you? No, not really."

As I'd predicted, it wasn't very bright of me to randomly bring it up when things were already tense. I went quiet, what do you say to that? Oops, sorry? It's not like I regret it. Zarah was quite the bitch back then.

"We liked each other. And it wasn't like I was keeping her from you. She's not an object, she's a person who chose to spend her time with me. That's not on me."

"I never said it was. But you can't blame me for being slightly pissed when you, someone who I didn't like at the time, took up all her time. I had a boyfriend, yet I still spent time with her. That hurt."

I nodded, letting out a sigh. "I'm guessing you and whatever-his-name was broke up?"

She rolled her eyes, assumingly recalling the memories by the look on her face. Considering the mention of him brought out a bitter expression, it cannot have ended well. She soon confirmed that though when she spoke.