a drop in the ocean (request)

requested by @DrReidcanhavemykids

Summary: Draco and Y/N were best friends in love all throughout their time at Hogwarts. They graduate without confessing to each other, and Draco moves to America. What will happen when they accidentally reunite?

Warnings: angst, fluffy ending, Draco being protective, no voldy again😛, kinda long ngl

House: Slytherin
Year: um kind of all? plus after Hogwarts

A/N: ty for requesting, hope u like it! also guys I SWEARRR I will post a part 2 to heather lol I just got a couple requests so it's a bit delayed but I PROMISE I will get it done !

•••

He was gone. He moved. Left. Gone. And you didn't think he was coming back.

Your best friend moved to America, and you were furious. Why couldn't he have just stayed in London with you? You were best friends. Why wasn't that enough reason for him to stay?

Despite the fact that he told you why he wanted to move, you still didn't understand.

You should've seen it coming, really. You saw this day coming for a while. You always knew that you and Draco would eventually graduate, say your goodbyes, and move on to live your lives as adults.

But it hurt so fucking bad.

Not just because he was your best friend, or the fact that you spent the entire first part of your life with him. No, it was because, quite simply put, you were in love with him. You always have been.

It was the type of love that crippled every fiber of your being. The type that took over your thoughts every second of every day. The type that consumed you to the point where you couldn't breathe. The type that suffocated you, and dictated you, and made you want to scream at the top of your lungs. It was the type you read about in cheesy muggle romance novels.

The worst part was that you couldn't even bring yourself to confess to him, and that not even a decade was enough time to build up the courage to do so. You couldn't help but feel like a coward.

August, 1991
{ One month before Hogwarts }

You and Draco lay on your backs in the pillow-and-blanket fort that the two of you made together, staring up at the blanket that passed as a roof for your fort. There was a small night light in the corner of your fort, acting as your only source of light. You were in the living room of the Malfoy Manor for yet another one of your sleepovers.

"What do you think it will be like?" Draco asked.

You furrowed your brows. "Hogwarts?"

"Yeah."

You thought for a moment. "Well, I imagine it as an escape from reality, a place with endless possibilities. I believe it'll be a place where our imagination will not only come to life, but also expand. I imagine the castle will be big and beautiful and bright, and fill everyone with life. I honestly think it'll be our second home."

"Wow. Did you practice that?" He teased, making you both burst into giggles.

"Shut up," you laughed.