lockdown

/I live in Thailand and I wanted to do a piece of writing to demonstrate the Covid situation right now. Enjoy!/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lockdown is a state of isolation and restricted access as a security measure during the event of an emergency. For the rest of the world, the world 'lockdown' would induce a state of panic but in Thailand, the word holds no power. The sheer willpower of people not wanting to do as they're told is a magnificent and perhaps terrifying sight to behold. The idea of being ruled by a totalism government with no freewill was a thought that the moving body of society would not and never agree to bear. Thus, the hoards flood every single place and every single square meter of space that was available.

Crowds often assembled in marketplaces and supermarkets; I've gathered. It is only an instinct to gather food and accumulate supplies than it is to sit at home and wither. Of course, there are people who provide for their families by trading the product of their crops for money. I've concluded that it is an illogical idea for people to face the risk of death just to make a non-profitable living however, the masses must thrive. And so, they do.

Mortals seek to become immortal; the idea of death terrifies and is the seed of fear which grows in the masses like a virus. Fear is a powerful motivator; it pushes people to the extremes of either lawful good or chaotic evil. What the people fear is a different question, the individuals at the top of the food chain fear the spread of the virus and the doom that would bring to the country while the lower you travel down the chain, the fear of starvation gets higher and higher until there is a point where fear of starvation surpasses the fear of the virus completely and you then have the situation that we are in now.

I introduce the fact that the number of cases in Thailand are very few, almost none. Because of this fact, the events that follow are almost inevitable. Because of this low number of cases and deaths, people are not introduced to the 'fear stimulus' that effects the crowds in other countries who has a higher number of cases. This is the explanation of the events that have unfolded themselves. It is a logical explanation of all of the facts and so is the main observation that I have seen among the crowds.

Another that is based on sentiment is optimism. The optimistic of the people plunder around to find a way to gather money. But this is an explanation of some of the events and not all because not all who make money are optimists.

Thailand is a mad country. The most accurate description of Thailand that I have found would be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's description of London.

'That great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained'

Especially at this time of 'lockdown', the phrase has never been more accurate. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

photo credits : Mananya Kaewthawee