Dear diary... I fuckin hate award shows..

It's that time of year again! Christmas lights are going up, people are Black Friday shopping for gifts, and... do you hear that?

That's the sound of kpop fans losing their GOD DAMN MINDS over online voting for awards that have winners already pre-selected! That's right, folks.

It's time for EOTY award shows!

I can't stand these things. I've been a kpop fan for a solid decade now and these award shows have only become more and more boring end predictable with each passing year. This is what happens when you base a group's worth off of pure numbers alone while snubbing any group and company that doesn't have the money to shell out of an award.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's still an achievement to even be nominated for these award shows but, who cares when each year there's less innovation?

Question: Why are so many mid-tier company groups being snubbed and why the hell are there only 5 female acts per award show when they are the driving force for kpop popularity?

Answer: Because these companies cannot afford to pay these PDs money for time slots on their award shows, because these PDs truly only care about views. Female acts get snubbed for the sole reason that male groups are given more credibility, even if the female acts have a more diverse and interesting discography.

Ever wonder why there aren't more awards? Like why isn't there an award for lyric writing and song credits? Where the producer awards for the idols who went above and beyond for their craft? With more awards and recognition for the people who work behind the scenes for the music we love, we would also get more variation for performances. I love Twice, and they've been my ult group since 2016, but it's crazy that they're not receiving recognition for their song-writing credits or input to their critically acclaimed full album, Eyes Wide Open.

It's all purely based on numbers and not the quality of the songs or performances, which is both predictable and sad.

It's sad to see less and less people get excited for these award shows over time... but it's to be expected. When a single group, or a hand full of groups, sweep the award shows *every year* then it loses its value. You're trying to tell me that these same 4 groups are going to win the same 10 awards with no mention of these smaller groups exploding onto the scene with new takes on old concepts?? Boring. Utterly boring.

So, I won't be watching the award shows this year... again. Instead I'll wait for the performances to be uploaded onto youtube while I wait for my faves to come back.

(S/N: I'm very interested to see how the gayos are going to be held. It'll be interesting to see which groups collaborate and who covers who songs!)

-xoxo, Eri