CHAPTER TWENTY; part two

We end up at the diner, in a corner booth that's bathed in sunlight. I roll the sleeves up on the sweatshirt I'm wearing, overheating quickly. I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the menu because Cas has his hand on my thigh and Amelia's none the wiser, sitting across from me reading out different pancake options. 

     "Blueberry," she says. "Wait, no, this apple cinnamon sounds delish."

     "Well, I'm going to do the strawberry banana French toast," Cas says not even looking at his menu. He's staring right at me, but I'm avoiding his gaze. "Extra bananas. Extra syrup. Extra sweet."

     "That sounds disgusting," I say calmly. He's inched his hand up my leg higher, squeezing my thigh.

     "No, wait, French toast sounds really good, too. Fuck."

     "We can share it," Cas says. "Do the apple cinnamon pancakes."

     Amelia points the menu at him. "Yes, love that. What are you getting, Dres?"

     "I'm thinking oats," I say, still looking over the menu. I don't really have an appetite.

     "Ew," Cas says. It's hard to focus on anything he says with his hand on my leg. I place mine on top of his to keep it where it's at, which is hardly a safe distance from my dick.

     "Yeah, no I can't allow that," Amelia says. "At least do eggs."

     "I'm really not hungry," I say, being honest. "Is it hot in here?"

     Cas removes his hand suddenly, turning in the booth to look at me. He stares at me an uncomfortably long amount of time. "Are you in pain?" he asks finally.

     Amelia's gaze darts between us. "What's going on?"

     "Are you?" Cas repeats.

    "No," I say after a moment.

     "Really?" He reaches over, grabbing my hand and flipping my arm so its supinated. He places two fingers on my pulse. "Cause you're tachy."

     "I'm always tachy," I respond defensively, having only a mild idea of what that even means.

     "What's wrong?" Amelia asks.

     "What's wrong is your bother is stubborn and refused to take any pain meds this morning. Can you pass me my coat?"

     "What, are you going to drive back and get them? I'm fine, Cas."

     "Coat, Amelia," Cas says again, in this voice that I think is his doctor voice. Firm, definitive. Amelia hands him his coat over the table. I drop my head into the palm of my hand, rubbing at my temple. Okay, so maybe I'm in a little pain.

     Cas reaches into the pocket of his jacket and pulls out a prescription bottle. "Here," he says.

     "I'm not going to take a prescription that's not mine and have you put your license in danger, come on."

     "It's yours, Dres," Cas says shoving the bottle in front of me.

     I blink at the bottle, at the fine print, at my name. "Oh," I say finally.

     "Yeah, oh, you stubborn mule," Cas responds. "Now will you take your pills so I can enjoy my French Toast in peace, please?"

     I uncap the bottle slowly, my right hand weak and trembling from the pain, and then pop two of the tramadol. I push the bottle back towards Cas and he puts it back. Amelia, who's been uncharacteristically silent, breaks it with, "So decidedly the best thing to happen to all of us is Cas becoming a doctor?"