Unavoidable Apologies

Before we start, please DO NOT COMMENT on this article. They will be automatically deleted. This topic is not up for discussion — it's a warning / awareness we want to raise at TRA.

Many things don't go as planned, this article is one of them. We've been putting it off for a few days now, wanting to let things boil over and settle down. But it sounds like people get confused trying to comprehend this simple topic.

There has been a real incident of misunderstanding at TRA — something that was inevitable despite us taking so many measures to make sure the experience of a contest like this runs smoothly. We also want to make sure that it doesn't happen again, and that's why this article has come up.

Picture this: if you accidentally spilt hot coffee on someone's new dress, you don't say "oh stop crying, I didn't mean to do that!" — please, realise that this sounds absurd. And if someone tells you off for it, you don't call it "victim-blaming". There is nothing wrong with apologising here, and there shouldn't be — it is not a question of dignity. People sometimes do get hurt even when we don't mean to hurt them.

Everyone, please take a moment to pause and understand that nobody in this scenario is a bully, and both of them are victims of the turn of events that is fate.

Yet, one of them has to apologise because of the apparent damage done — this is basic manners, a courtesy which allows us to live in a civil manner. If this is something that bothers you, we highly recommend taking some time off to reflect on things properly.

But before we continue, there's something else in the picture that we must draw your attention to: it is completely OKAY to have a difference of opinion. You can take your stance and say "I didn't mean to do that, however I'm sorry it happened because we are sisters on Islam, and what has hurt you has hurt me too." What is not okay is being disrespectful about it and fueling people's anger towards someone.

Let us make this matter a little more complicated.

Imagine there's a quiz, naturally there are two rivalling teams. Now, if someone spilt their coffee on themselves in Team A, is it considered a good thing for Team B to intervene and ask if they're okay? NO — let us make this clear: participants are NOT SUPPOSED TO INTERACT. Because guess what? The person who spilt the coffee will start thinking you're trying to be a distraction. And in an election - wise, fair play of things, in the middle of a quiz it is not allowed as per rules to even do this.

This is clear violation of being competitors and if this doesn't sit inside someone's head, it's going to be a headache every time they participate in contests. Unfortunately, special circumstances have special rules. Naturally, there are going to be some penalties — because there are places where silence is better than words and this is one of those places.

What is not okay is for the one who spilt the coffee to feel miserable because he thinks this is no fault of his — which may be true, but that doesn't mean the dress is brand new again. Does it? And even if there was no malicious intent, is it so hard to believe that people who are competing against each other will always be wary of the other person's intentions? How difficult is it to be safe than sorry? When you are rivalling in games / awards / contests, keep your distance because there is always a chance you will be tricked with accusations — real or unreal.

So we ask of you, dear Muslim community of Wattpad — please bear in mind that the jury of this world is blind to emotions. We cannot run justice on emotions, and that is why Allah swt is the Best Judge. We, humans, however — cannot bring proper justice in order. We will have to go with the one whose dress was damaged and ask people to apologise to them. This is unavoidable.

Now that we've explained how we have NO CHOICE when it comes to whom we pick to give justice to in circumstances like this, please be careful. Our effort to bring justice will hurt people whose intention was not to harm because we don't run on emotions, because we can't go back on certain rules. And this should've been clear from the start. Our choice is NOT based on how many friends one has / how much support one gets / how popular the book is. Our focus cannot be on intentions either, because we can't SEE them in this particular incident. Which doesn't mean they're not true, of course.

We would be foolish to assume that humans can be perfect enough to get everyone justice, so please do forgive us in this world for being unable to help those who think they have been wronged.

So we have done all that is possible for us to, and we are officially announcing this case to be closed. We will not welcome any opinions because the decisions have been made. And we ask Allah swt to give the last and final settlement, the judging and weighing of emotions and worth on the Last Day so that everyone is satisfied.

Before signing off, we would also like to mention that another rule has been added (courtesy of this incident which will be kept anonymous) — no two participants who are competing for Reader's Choice Awards are allowed to interact when it comes to issues of voting. Both of them will be disqualified immediately if found to do so.

We encourage you all to take care of each other, forget your grudges and move on (with keeping distance if necessary) — because surely, success only truly lies with Allah swt. It is only a matter of time before death arrives at our doorstep.

— Regards, love, du'a and well wishes, The TRA Team