Sleepless

Jongho tossed and turned in his bed, kicking at his sheets and doona until they were by his feet. Immediately regretting his decision he swiftly pulled them back up again because it was absolutely freezing considering it was winter and the middle of the night.

He should have listened to Seonghwa when the older had told him not to drink that second coffee Wooyoung had given him because now the caffeine was keeping him awake.

Jongho groaned and kicked his legs making loud thumping sounds on his mattress.

"Either go to sleep Jong or get up because your keeping me awake" Yeosang's deep sleepy voice cut through the darkness of their shared room.

"S-sorry I thought you were asleep" he quietly spoke back earning a groan from the older before he rolled onto his side in his bed across the room.

Jongho felt bad at disturbing the olders beauty sleep, and concluding that he didn't want to face the wrath of a sleep deprived Yeosang in the morning Jongho decided to get up rather than stay in bed.

So Jongho sat up and threw his legs over the side of the bed, his toes poking around the floor in the darkness for his slippers. Once he had his feet snugly in his slippers he muttered another apology to Yeosang for being noisy, before he shuffled along the floor trying not to make a sound as he made his way out of the room.

Once in the dark hallway of the dorm apartment Jongho pulled the door closed and cringed as the door creaked on his hinges.

Jongho squinted into the shadows of night as he contemplated what to do now. There were no windows down the hallway where the bedrooms were located and he didn't want to turn on the light because that would wake the rest of the house up.

Jongho mentally slapped himself for leaving his phone behind, at least then he'd be able to shine a light and find his way.

He didn't want to go back in to get it and disturb Yeosang any more than he already had though so he chose to reach out with his hand, finding the wall as he walked in the direction of the main hub of the dorm. Maybe he could watch something on the couch on his laptop?

That thought was crushed though when he eyed two figures in the darkness curled up together, fast asleep on the couch.

Without a doubt the figures were Yunho and Wooyoung. The pair often fell asleep there curled up in one another's arms. Hongjoong always said they should just share a bed since they were dating, and they had been dating in secret for a little over a year now, but for some reason the pair were more content to sleep with one another on the couch.

Jongho tiptoed past the couple to the kitchen, desperately trying not to make a sound, he was sure any noises would wake the two, or the rest of the house for that matter.

He could see a little better now that his eyes had adjusted to the darkness and that a slither of light from a street lamp shone through the curtains lighting his way, but he was still worried he could trip over or walk into something if he wasn't careful.

Once in the kitchen he poured himself a class of water with the jug on the bench to occupy himself, without light his options on things to do were rather small.

Jongho sighed as he glanced at the clock on the wall, he could just make out that it was 1.48am. No wonder Yeosang was grumpy.

Jongho soon finished his water and his bladder decided to choose what he would do next so Jongho made a detour from his unknown plans to the bathroom.

Once he was finished he came back out again looking about the apartment. There was nothing he could do here without someone waking up, and the last thing Jongho wanted to do was disturb the beauty sleep of his hyungs, they worked hard and needed their rest.

Jongho's eyes slipped along the walls slowly being drawn to one spot of the dorm: the front door.

As soon as his eyes locked onto the door he began moving towards it without a second thought and within seconds he'd kicked off his slippers and slipped on his sneakers before stepping out into the hallway.

It was even colder out here, and Jongho was once again mentally knocking himself over the head. All he had on was his trackie pants, a long sleeved shirt and a hoodie and not surprisingly he was cold and wishing he'd grabbed his jacket which of all things was hanging conveniently by the door for easy access.

He had a bad habit of doing things without thinking of the consequences or how he'd be in the future, meaning that he constantly faced these feelings of self regret for not thinking his actions through.

While he could technically open the door again and grab his coat he was too prideful to do that. He was tough and he figured at least this way he'd appreciate the warmth of his bed when he finally returned to it.

Jongho pulled his hood over his head to shelter his eyes from the light of the hallway, and he hugged his arms around his body in an attempt to savour what little body heat he had as he sped towards the stairwell.

He would have liked to of taken the elevator but he knew that if he summoned the lift that it'd surely wake up the whole apartment. It was old and noisy and even during the day he could hear the gears working away to pull the elevator up and down the shaft.

Once he was inside the stairwell he felt like he could breathe a little easier now. He'd been holding his breath until now, almost as if the sound of air flowing in and out of his lungs might wake someone up.

Jongho looked down over the railings to the stairs bellow and then upwards at the stairs ahead. He could leave the apartment if he really wanted too, but he knew his manager didn't like him leaving at night alone so Jongho began to make his ascent towards the roof top terrace rather descend and leave via the lobby bellow.

The dorm was only 4 flights of stairs from the top so it wasn't too much of a trek and within a matter of minutes he was wrapping his hand around the cold steel of the doorknob that would take him outside to what he anticipated to be drastically colder.

Not surprisingly when he opened the door he was met with a gust of wind to the face that made him shiver. Rather than close the door though and retreat back inside he stepped outside, he was still wide awake from the caffeine, and now regretfully the cold air was probably having adverse affects and keeping him awake too.

Never the less Jongho did his best to embrace the cold rather than avoid it, he'd come this far he might as well make the most of it.

~ ❄ ~