The whip

My horses hooves flew across the ground. We saw the camp of the 54ths. The colonel rode ahead as I am looked after the regiment. I put me behind the last men and entered the camp slowly. As the men waited patiently at the edge of the camp, we decided to search after Robert. We followed the empty passages between the tents till we reached the crowd. Roberts coloured men. I could not believe me eyes. Mulcahy trashes on the back of a man with a whip. Everyone wachted it. Robert standing there and stares at the man, who nearly got tears in his eyes. Doing nothing. So he have to ordered it. Next to him Cabot. Schocked by the scene. It seam they didn't saw us. So I took wide steps and stopped at my brothers side. But instead of saying something, he just glanced at me and then turned away. My eyes found Cabot's eyes, till he pulled away in the other direction with his eyes downcast.

I followed my brother. "What was that?" I asked him. "He dessated. I had to punish him."My brother answered. "Yes but with the whip? You know they were punished that way all time long. Where is you kindness? You caring heart?" Robert was silent. "Do you even ask him why he did that? Maybe there is a good reason for it?" I tried again. "It doesn't matter now. It is done." he cut me up and looked me in the eyes. Smiling he put his arms around me. "It is good to see you. To know that your safe."

"Yes but you should really talk to your men sometimes." I agreed and let rest my hand on his back befor I took some steps backwards, just to bump against Cabot. He holds me on my shoulders: "Attention. I could stab you in the back and you will be dead." I turned my head and replied: "What? With you sword? It is too big for stabbing someone so close." I saw him grinning and realised how pervet that sounds. Maybe I've spend to much time with men. They often have that kind of humor. A soft red flush got on my cheeks and he give me a little smirk."Well, yes with my sword.", he just replied, let his hand rest on his sword which was placed beside his leg on his belt. He didn't mention my red cheeks or my words and I was happy about it. I could't say if I would able to react if he would asked me where I knew about his big sword. No that would be a strange flirting in front of Robert. Cabot released my shoulders and headed to Roberts direction just to stopped on the side to creat a circle of three.

"You know Cabot." Robert remarked. "Of course. That one old friend of Robert my mother like. Till you both found the alochol and got so many times drunk." I replied and nodded to him. "Ah, the sister. You haven't been to the party of Roberts returning. The one he got his job as colonel." Cabot mentioned. "That is right. On that time I was in the middle of my training on ship but I believe my brother enjoyed the complete attention of everyone. Especially our parents. And let me guess you were drunk as hell. Again." "Better be drunk then dead." "Then watch after you otherwise you cannot be drunk anymore." "Okay. Enough." Robert interrupted us. "I am very happy to have you both here but now leave. I have to do some things." I am smiling, because I saw the struggle in his eyes. The situation and my word runs through his head. So I said my good bye with a little bow. I have to find my regiment, my friends and above all my quartes.