Chapter 1

April ran, cheeks flushed and breathless, towards her new room in her boyfriend Nick's house. She shut the door behind her and breathed a sigh.

"Opening night dance parties are fun, but they're also tiring," she muttered to herself.

"Really," a voice piped up. "I still haven't forgiven you, you know."

April glanced, startled, into the shadows. She could just make out the silhouette of a tall girl with a shock of blonde hair.

"Sarah," April sighed in relief. "Don't come sneaking up on me like that."

"Or what? You'll forget your commitment again?" Sarah challenged.

April's smile disappeared and her good mood evaporated. "I said I'm sorry, okay? Isn't that enough?" she snapped. "You were fine at the competition. Why are you so mad now?"

Sarah crossed her arms, mirroring her brother's girlfriend (a.k.a. April). "Oh, I never thought I'd hear you say the words 'I'm sorry'." she said sarcastically.

April's eyes narrowed. For a moment it seemed like she was going to start yelling, but instead she walked over and gave Sarah a hug. The child hugged her right back.

"April, I'm really sorry," Sarah sobbed. "I don't know what made me do that. I was horrible back then. I think I still am now...sometimes, anyway.I wish I wasn't like my old self."
"Neither do I," murmured April, glad that Sarah didn't hear her. She squeezed Sarah tight before returning to her old position at the window.

As April gazed outside, lost in her own thoughts, Sarah quickly slipped out of her room.

She wouldn't mind having April as a sister-in-law, Sarah decided. She smiled to herself, skipping the whole way back with a spring in her step.

"Bye Sarah!" April yelled after her. Sarah grinned again. Yes, she really wouldn't mind.