1

Prologue

She could hear her parent's voices, low and hushed as they discussed the terrible accident that had been in the news. It was night time and the light in her room was on like it always was.

"The poor child, what do you think will happen?" Her mother whispered.

"I don't know, I wish we could help somehow," her fathers voice responded, his tone was solemn.

"Best to wait for the next update first there's nothing we can do."

"Yes."

Alisa stared at the ceiling, trying her best not to fall asleep. She knew that if she did she'd have the same nightmare. But sleep caught up to her and her eyes slowly closed no matter how she fought.

Like every other day, she found herself enveloped in darkness, nothing in sight and nothing to be heard save her own voice. It was quiet and eerie and the blinding darkness was everywhere.

Alisa started to cry, "wake up, I don't like it here! Wake up! I'm scared," she continued on crying and begging herself to wake up. "It's too dark, I can't see," she sobbed awfully.
~*~

"Mama?" Alisa called as she walked towards the dining table, rubbing her already swollen and red eyes.

"Lis, honey, were you crying?" Her mother held both her hands gently and stared at her with warmth and worry in her eyes.

"It was dark again," Alisa lowered her head and her voice was as quiet as a whisper.

"Oh," her father sighed, "Tessa these nightmares are out of hand," he scratched the back of his head in frustration as he sat down on on of the chairs at the dining table.

"She's a child Zack, she doesn't know how to deal with them."

Zack, Alisha's father nodded his head and understanding then turned his attention to Alisa. He lifted her up and placed her on his lap. "Lis, can you tell me about it?" Zack asked.

"It was dark everywhere and I was alone," her tears slowly formed and her lower lip quivered. "I couldn't wake up."

"It's okay, you're awake now and there's lots of light," Tessa moved closer to the two, she cupped Alisha's face with both hands and kissed her forehead.

"And we're here, so you're not alone," Zack pinched her cheek playfully and smiled before he put her down and left the kitchen.

"Is papa mad?" Alisa asked her mother after peeking to make sure he was gone.

"No, he's just worried," Tessa smiled.

"Will they go away? The dark dreams?"

"Yes, they will."

Alisa nodded her and wiped her tears with the back of her small hands.
Tessa led her to a chair and served her toast with hot chocolate. She watched her as she ate silently then helped her get ready for school.

Afterwards Zack drove her to school and kissed her goodbye. "Mom will come pick you up okay?"

"Okay papa."

"I love you Lis," he smiled, he waited for her to head inside.

Alisa hesitantly made her way to her seat, she put her bag down and and brought out her notebook. A bright purple book covered in glitter at the bottom.

"Okay kids, class is starting!" The teacher said as she stepped in. The teacher was Ms.Rose and she was particularly nice so Alisa liked her classes.
~*~