World-Building (Power Systems)

Power systems...

The most nonsensical and idiotic thing to ever be thought of...

Most people use them as plot devices...

Others use them to make their damned main character broken and overpowered...

Yes, guys, you know what time it is. It's time to discuss the screwiness of power systems!!!👌

And boy, am I excited!

Now, first and foremost, you must ask yourself: what is a power system?

Power systems are this really fun thing that is almost always put into a fantasy book. It screws with your world, your characters and yourself as a writer who has to somehow make the logic behind that power system work.

Needless to say, power systems are annoying but fun to write about.

Why?

Because MAGIC!!!!!!

Everyone loves the idea of magic, no matter how hard they try to deny it. This is the reason why superhero comics and Marvel have come so far in the entertainment industry. That's because everyone loves the idea of being able to do things normal humans can't.

So, let's skip to the main idea in this chapter real fast.

What must I remember when making a power system or explaining it?

Firstly, what is the idea behind the power system? Do people get powers in this world via hard work, or are they born with them? Is there some sort of relevance to the world where this power system exists?

To be honest, your ideas could be anything.

People could get powers related to constellations (e.g. people with the constellation of cancer have a special ability that allows them to create shields because the cancer constellation is a crab).

People could be born with a natural affinity to one of the three elements (e.g. in a world where you have three elements: water, earth and fire).

Something like that.

The logic that follows these power systems don't even need to be logical. I'm pretty sure that there are almost no fantasy authors out there who actually want to go through the extended pain of giving a detailed explanation of something that is entirely fictional.

Unless the author is a genius with a mega 10000+ IQ brain (like me 😏).

So you have no need to explain your power system.

Why?

Because MAGIC!!!!!!!

But what you must think of and remember is: why is my main character special? Where do they fall into this power system?

Usually, people tend to go for the super cliché and overused: 'Oh, in this world, everyone is born with only one of the (insert whatever number) powers. But my main character just so happens to have a secret hidden power that is super overpowered and just so happens to not be one of those (insert whatever number) powers/My main character has at least more than one power, or just all of them.'

It tends to get a little annoying after a while.

It's not wrong to use that idea, but it just seems a little tiring to read about after more than half the fantasy novels out there are like that.

This is the reason why books that stray away from that idea are more interesting.

One example?

Hmmm...

The Reckoners Series by Brandon Sanderson.

In this book series, after normal humans get superpowers, they start to do terrible and selfish deeds to other people without powers. This book is a must-read because it really shows true human nature and realistic happenings if an average joe gets a superpower.

Do you seriously think people are going to do good deeds and become superheroes if they get superpowers? Hell nah. They're gonna rob a bank. Guaranteed.

This book is as realistic as it gets.

The main character joins 'The Reckoners', a group of normal humans who fight against the people who gained superpowers and use them unfairly. These characters ain't your normal ones. They use their brains and normal talents to confront the unfair bastards and eventually beat the hell outta them.

Because justice.

This is also what we call an interesting book.

So stray away from the usual clichés and stereotypes. Try something different.

Make your main character's power (which could be something like brainpower) INTERESTING!!!!