4 | Realizing

From an outside perspective

By the end of the week, Adrien didn't think he will live much longer. Every day for the last week, Luka had been watching his every move, never letting him go anywhere alone.

He'd been mocking him, taunting him, spitting on his face. Adrien didn't think he could take it. If Luka didn't kill him, he would do it himself, he decided.

So he was waiting. Waiting for his lover to strike the final deadly blow which would finally put him at peace. Adrien was feeling one with the phrase 'rest in peace'. He felt like he finally got it now.

School was torture.

He had his A-levels in just weeks and was he prepared? Like fuck he was. But Luka was not. Sometimes, when he caught a glimpse of Luka's room, he saw papers sprawled everywhere, unfinished music scores, and dried paint on the floor.

Adrien had tried playing Luka's final piece on the piano once, when Luka wasn't home. It sounded terrible. Luka was absolutely going to fail, and both boys knew it. And yet the blue haired, no-eyebrowed boy refused to study. It didn't matter how many times Adrien begged, genuinely caring for his lover's education.

In fact, last time he had, Luka had slapped him, and they hadn't talked for the rest of the day, until Luka had come crawling back, begging for Adrien's forgiveness. Which of course he gave.

Fast forward to the day of his Physics A-levels and Adrien walked into the hall, feeling confident.

On the day of his Psychology A-levels, Adrien was a mess.

On the day of his German A-levels, he came in with a black eye, seemingly having forgotten every German sentence he knew except “Ich werde sterben.” which meant 'I am going to die'. How relevant.

He was sure he had done well on the writing, listening and reading parts, but he wasn't so sure about the speaking. It had gone a little like this.

"Hallo. Es ist Adrien, richtig?"

"Hello. It's Adrien, right?"

"Ja."

"Yes."

There had been an awkward moment of silence before he dove into his independent research project, explaining all of the data in German. Occasionally, his tester would chip in a “Ja wirklich?” or a random “Warum denkst du das?”, which were basically just prompts to get him to speak more.

By the time he got home, he was exhausted, and he tried to avoid Luka as much as possible until his results came. Around two months later, both his and Luka's results were posted.

Phsyics - 15/20

German - 17/20

Psychology - 19/20

What. How had he done so well? He thought for sure he wouldn't even get a ten in German or Psychology, but he had. Luka dropped down next to him on the couch.

"What did you get?" Adrien asked in what he hoped was the sweetest voice possible.

Instead of answering verbally, Luka just gave an incoherent grunt and shoved him the result card.

Music - 12/20

French - 20/20

Drama - 9/20

Luka had actually done better than he thought. It made sense that he'd get a twenty in his native language, but he hadn't expected him to even have up to a five on his other subjects. Adrien was so happy for him that he gave him a kiss.

Luka looked up at Adrien in surprise. How could such a beautiful boy grace him with his soft lips when he had been so mean, so cruel?

That was Luka's awakening.

"You did so well!" Adrien exclaimed, beaming with unaltered pride.

That was when Luka realized how much of a sick idiot he was being. He stared in awe at Adrien. Had he forgotten how Luka had acted towards him? So many thoughts were whizzing through his head but they all screamed the same thing - I'm sorry.

"Adrien, I am so so sorry," Luka whispered, voice hoarse, expression mortified.

"That's alright."

A/N: the next chapter will be the last one