Chapter 1-Winston

The weather was fickle and rather murky. Luckily, I had brought my coat. As I pulled into the taxi, I decided to go for a cup of coffee.

"The Rainbow Cup, please." The driver turned around.

"You mean that gay place?" I looked at him, with perhaps more intensity than necessary. Satisfying though it was, I think the driver's immediate surrender bade fair warning as to my defensiveness.

Once I arrived, I stepped out of the car, paid the fee, with an addition of a £10 tip. Sorry, $10.

"My sincerest apologies." The driver, as expected, looked bewildered. Then again, they all do.

Ah, the Rainbow Cup. Most might think it strange for a person like me to be frequently visiting a place like this, but I believe we all ought to experience something out of the ordinary. For me, it was placing myself in the wondrous atmosphere of those with a minority in self-identification. Quite a culture to have developed, I think. As I went and ordered, the red headed barista was there. Terra, I think it was.

"The usual, Winston?"

"Just a touch stronger with the caffeine." Their caffeine was quite rich. One of the few things I truly appreciate in the world.

As I sat down, I pulled out my chess set.

"Well, let's see what we have today, shall we?" And I got to work, placing the pieces, building a beautiful and intricate system to work the mind past the extent of its capabilities. It is a complex piece of randomness that is patterns on patterns. Chess is one of the rare things in life that is simultaneously simple and complicated. But, as I finished, I decided to give black the first move. And they were off to the races, now, each team moving as one. Knights, bishops, rooks, all working together to one goal. And then, equilibrium. Both sides now pinned by the other. What to do? I'll have to think long and hard for this one.

"Here it is, Winston. One espresso, just slightly stronger than usual."

"Thank you darling." I took a sip. "Ah! Delicious as always!"

"Oh...thanks! If you don't mind, can I ask why you play chess against yourself? It seems lonely." At this, I smiled. The perception of one always differs from the other when it comes to the bringing of joy, I always say.

"My dear Terra, when one has enough years and experience as me, they get to the point to realize that, in her infinite wisdom, Jane Austen states a fundamental truth in having Emma Woodhouse saying 'one half of the world can not understand the pleasures of the other.' Chess is an excellent tool for me to keep the old noodle sharp. For you however, it certainly brings no appeal, and may never will." As I rambled on, Terra stood there smiling, with unlimited patience to listen to this senile old fool.

"Well, Winston, I'll take your word for it." And with that, she wished me good luck on my game and walked away; and as I sat there, thinking of the next move, surrounded by that of an entirely different world, and listening to the hustle and bustle of this city, I was at peace.