Chapter 1-Terra

It was a fairly busy day at the café. As usual. Being one of the only LGBTQ+ based cafes in the heart of New York City, where queers of all ages could come and hang out, many flocked towards its warm and sofa filled interior. I kind of thought of it as a gay Starbucks. I sighed to myself and pulled my scratchy apron tighter. A small jingle from the front door alerted me of a new customer and I looked up to see a woman with short brown hair, clad in all black, enter the café.

I grinned and waved "Hey Salem!"

Salem Perry. The manager of The Rainbow Cup and part-time barista. She could make a killer smoothie. And I was actually the one that hired her. Well... not exactly. My uncles hired Salem, but as soon as I had seen that girl, I knew we needed her on their crew.

Salem nodded towards me and walked up to the side of the counter, pushing the small door to the side with her hip, both hands occupied with furiously texting on her phone.

"Hi, Ter."

I waved and walked over to the multiple coffee makers "So... whatcha doin? I mean... if you don't mind me asking. I really don't want to be rude."

Salem laughed and looked up. "It's no problem. I was actually texting your uncles. The shipment of coffee is late and we're running way too low for comfort."

I tilted my head "Is everything going to be ok? I can go pick it up... or could I? Can I do that? I don't know."

Salem laughed again and gave me a small side hug. "God, you're an angel. Unfortunately, you can't pick it up but thank you for the offer. Don't worry too much. It should be here soon."

I sighed and made my way towards the cash register. "I guess it's just time to meet more people and wow them with my amazing coffee skills."

"You do that." Salem said with a grin. "Is Winston here yet?"

I nodded and pointed towards a corner where an old man was hunched over a chess set. "Over there." I pointed and did some quick jazz hands as Salem walked towards Winston and turned towards a new customer.

"What can I get you today?" I asked a short boy with lime green hair, "We have a new special espresso and baked goods."

The boy frowned and looked up at the drink list "I will take a... vanilla iced coffee and a brownie please."

I giggled. "That sounds very yummy. I approve." I walked over to the coffee machine and started preparing his order.

Another girl walked into the back and I waved, "Hey Ashlynn!"

"Oh, hey Terra!" Ashlynn waved back and set her bag down. "I'm here to help you. I have a few minutes before my shift."

"You are a lifesaver," I said with a sigh. "One of the ovens broke and the shipment of coffee is late."

We nodded to each other and I went back to my job of taking orders, straightening the pillows, and cleaning up dishes. By the time my shift was over, I was frazzled and exhausted. But it was a typical weekend. Time to go home and make lunch for myself.  Or I could crash at my uncles...

"Hey Ter, you staying for homework?" Salem's voice filled the air as she came up behind me.

Oh yeah... sometimes the staff helped me with my homework, considering that I was only 16 and they were in college. It wasn't technically cheating.... I was just getting help.

"Sounds cool." I smiled and ran over to the back room, grabbing my backpack, before swiping a cookie from the front and going to sit down in the corner. Time to get down to work.