Announcement

"We're back!" Ollie yells, his voice echoing around the Great Hall at the start of the new term.

Isabelle looks up from her spot next to Charlie, only to see the Gryffindor trio running into the Hall, Maisie in the lead. A broad grin works its way across her face, and the French girl jumps up from her seat, almost instantly getting engulfed in a group hug.

Charlie watches from the Gryffindor table, feeling a massive ache in his chest all of a sudden.

Maybe it's because he really enjoyed his one-on-one time with Isabelle these holidays. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to go back to being all alone again. Maybe it's because he knows that things are just gonna go back to normal now; Isabelle will start hanging out with her friends once again, and Charlie will be left all by himself.

His jaw clenches and he turns to his breakfast, eating about a mouthful before he doesn't want to stay in the Hall any longer, getting up and walking away.

"Charlie!" Isabelle's voice stops him in his tracks.

He turns around to look at her, his brows furrowed and jaw clenched, looking extremely unwelcoming.

"Where are you going?" the French girl asks, confused.

Of course she's confused. She doesn't know that Charlie doesn't mix with anyone.

Aside from her, it seems.

"Charms," Charlie replies gruffly, stalking away.

Isabelle stares after him for a while, brows knitted together.

"Zat woz weird," she says softly.

"Nah, don't stress about it, that's just Charlie," Noah says.

Maisie and Ollie nod their agreement.

"Yeah, he doesn't like talking to people very much. Never has, don't think he ever will," Maisie says with a shrug of her shoulders, before plonking herself down at the Gryffindor table.

Noah sits down next to her, rather close, but Isabelle doesn't notice, still frowning.

"C'mon, Isabelle," Ollie says, patting the spot next to him, "he always likes to be left alone so we always leave him be. Simple as that. Now come sit, I'm starving."

"You're always starving," Maisie says, rolling her eyes.

"Some people do need to fuel their brain, y'know," comes his cheeky reply, grinning from ear-to-ear.

Isabelle finally sits down next to him, shaking her head to clear it of thoughts of Charlie.

She purses her lips slightly, disappointment creeping into her chest that Charlie just doesn't want to spend time with her anymore. That he'd rather be alone than hang out with her and her friends.

"What exactly are you implying there, Oliver?" Maisie asks with a raised eyebrow, using his full name.

"Oh, y'know," the Gryffindor boy smirks, his grey-green eyes twinkling, "just that you don't seem to have a brain."

Maisie glares at him, but grins all the same, tucking into her breakfast.

"At least I'm not a pig," she replies, munching on her pancakes as a start-of-term treat.

The two of them bicker back and forth for the remainder of breakfast, Isabelle hardly noticing, her mind stuck on a certain red-headed boy.

She just can't seem to get him out of her head.

He was fine when it was just the two of them. He seemed to enjoy her company a lot and Isabelle definitely had a good time hanging out with him and chatting to him.