Chapter 8: Friction

Clever deversion or not, Kira's distraction plan for Gaara didn't end up lasting long as even more distressing news arrived by falcon little more then a week later. It had happened early in the morning, waking Kira up to hear a low knocking on the door feet from where she'd passed out on the living room couch. At first, being in the Kazekage's family quarts confused her before memories resurfaced. The night before had been their normal Thursday dinner, followed by a not so normal movie afterwards.

Embarrassed, Kira realized she must have fallen asleep some time during the film and they had simply let her sleep. She brushed her fingers over the edge of the thick blanket that was draped over her and sat up, only reminded of what had woken her when another knock echoed through the room. She hesitated, unsure if she should answer. Clearly it would be odd for her to answer the door.

People might get the wrong idea...

Thankfully her worries were nullified when Gaara came through the kitchen door, dressed and ready for the day. He didn't even glance her way as he marched over to the door and opened it in one fluid motion. Standing, blanket still in hand, Kira walked over and peaked around the corner ever so slightly, using her training to keep out of sight yet see what was going on. Waiting on the other side of the door was a fellow ANBU, expression hidden behind cloth except for the tightening around his eyes.

"Sorry to disturb you sir, but an urgent message from the Leaf arrived by hawk this morning." His gloved hand held out a scroll stamped with a red seal confirming his words, red being the universal color for help in correspondences between villages. Something in Kira's chest tightened, and her gut dropped. This wasn't good. In no way shape or form could this be good, and if it was from the Leaf Village...

Gaara took the paper scroll from the ANBU with a nod, dismissing him in an instant before closing the door once more. Hands clenching into the blanket, Kira moved around the wall, and straightened to stand a few feet from the redhead. Gaara glanced at her now, and, though his face was calm, she saw the worry in his eyes. Quickly he broke the seal, opening the scroll up. She watched with anxiety running through her veins as he read, sea green eyes flickering up and down in intervals before quite suddenly they froze and Gaara stared at the paper. Kira bit her tongue, knowing even if she spoke he wouldn't answer her. Finally, his eyes restarted and he read what ever was left on the scroll before silently closing it once more.

There was almost a weight to the air, as if it were thick with tension as Gaara slowly put the scroll into his sash and stared blankly ahead for a moment. Kira swallowed, and, blanket still clenched in her hands, took a step forward. "Gaara?" she whispered out as if the air couldn't leave her chest.

The young ruler moved his gaze to her and blinked once. He shook his head, as if waking from a dream before speaking. "Wake up Temari and Kankurō and have them come to the council room; there will be an emergency meeting as soon as everyone is gathered." His tone was calm, clearly an order as he looked at her and Kira nodded her head slightly, her ribs starting to feel more like they were there to cage her organs than protect them. After another long moment, Gaara turned to leave, hand on the door before Kira reached forward, dropping the blanket from one hand.

"Tell me what happened, Gaara, please..." She wanted to know so the knot in her chest would lessen. She needed to know so that she could take away some of the burden on his shoulders that had so suddenly landed there.

Though he did not turn, he did glance over his shoulder at her. They locked eyes again and Kira willed herself not to glance away. Finally he spoke.

"Pein, leader of the Atakaski has attacked and destroyed the Village Hidden in the Leaves. Naruto killed him, but the damage was already done. We will need to assist them in anyway we can."