Chapter 29: Intruder

Kira,

Congratulations on your clean bill of health and passing your evaluation. I was worried when you spoke of your frustration with your progress in the earlier weeks, but I knew you could do it, and you have. You must be pleased to be back on active duty. Kankuro wishes for me to remind you to do your maintenance on the prosthetic - I don't think he likes being back on guard duty, he won't stop pacing. I'm not sure how to take that.

It has been a few days since I got your letter. I'm afraid things are as busy as ever in Suna even without you. I'm sorry for the delayed reply. Nearly all of the damage caused by the Akatsuki is gone now, and once it's all done, the war will truly feel like it's behind us. My thoughts wander to the war more often than I like and it makes me wonder how things are going for you on that end. You haven't spoken of your nightmares lately and with the distance I can't tell how well you're sleeping.

Speaking of, I am still sleeping a few nights a week, I promise.

I hope the supplies I put together are the ones you wanted; you have quite a lot and honestly most of it all looks the same to me. What are you planning to make this time?

I miss you.

I don't know what else to say but that, because it's true and seems to be a part of my thoughts every day. This last week can't come to a close fast enough. Whatever it is you plan to do with the remainder of your time in Konoha, remember that I'll be there soon. Tell Temari I'll see her soon. I'll see both of you soon. Please be careful.

Till then,

Gaara

Well, Kira conceded, at least it didn't sound like a formal letter to another leader anymore. She couldn't fight the smile that gently played across her face as she reread the letter once more before carefully folding it back up and stowing it in a side pouch. She'd had to point out to him after the first letter she'd gotten that he wasn't required to sign his name as Kazekage when it was a personal letter. Nor did he have to use the strict, careful wording he was probably used to. It had been kind of adorable really and she'd kind of wished she'd seen his face as that realization.

After peaking into the small bag of colored twine, beads and cording, Kira stuffed that away as well. He hadn't seemed to miss anything she'd asked for, and was glad she'd been rather specific. Gaara wasn't much for color combinations and she'd worried if she'd left it to him things would have... well, not been what she wanted. Either way she was set for a bit, her hands itching to work on her hobby once again.

She shook her head at the thought, minding her footing as she walked along the riverside road that skirted the town. The sun was just starting to dip in the sky and after one final meeting with her team, she'd split off and started back toward her current living arrangement. Dinner would be soon and Kira tried to help out Mrs. Nara as often as she could, seeing as she wasn't paying for any of it.

It was still strange to think she was living with blood relatives, even if it was for a short time. Once Gaara had left with Kankurō and his temporary guards, the large estate building had been way too large for three ANBU agents. Temari already had rooms set up in an Inn and had been quick to invite both Kira and Aya to stay with her. Three people had seemed like a lot, but it had seemed like a better option then staying in the open barracks that Shura had opted for. In the end she hadn't even finished packing before Shikamaru had suggested that she take this time to get to know her extended family – which had surprised and stunned nearly everyone in the room at the time. Kira found out later that his mom had twisted his arm into asking her.