01 | After the War, I Went Back to New York

A/N: Here's my only author's note (I hope). This story is completed and edited in my drafts. There will be updates every 3 days because this story is only 9 chapters long. The last chapter will be published on December 24th. The disclaimers in the summary apply to the entire story. Please comment to point out any grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, or ideas for improvement. Without further ado, let the story begin!

~~~

1317 words

Percy was studying in his room for his upcoming exams. Even though New Rome offered him a full ride and he already accepted, they still required him to take the SAT and ACT (which he wasn't able to take in junior year) and graduate high school, which meant passing senior year. But Percy didn't mind because he got to spend his senior year with Annabeth at a high school called Midtown. It was only a week into school when he met a boy who changed his life. Only, Percy didn't know it at the time.

The next day, Percy arrived early at school for swim practice. He was already captain of the swim team and had become pretty popular, but he hated the attention it got him, and he wasn't too fond of the crowd it put him in either. Annabeth was on the decathlon team and was making quick friends with the total opposite crowd Percy was stuck in. Everyone thought it was weird a 'jock' and 'nerd' were dating, but they didn't care what everyone else thought. And because people liked Percy, they didn't mess with Annabeth. It could have also been because the first (and last) time someone tried to mess with Annabeth they got a terrifying glare from Percy and a slap to the face by Annabeth herself (because she doesn't need a man, even if she does love Percy).

After practice was over, he got changed in the locker rooms as fast as possible so he could meet up with Annabeth before first period.

"Hey, Wise Girl!"

"Seaweed Brain! How was practice?"

"Good! Coach said I beat another record, but I can't remember which one," he said with a sheepish grin.

Annabeth rolled her eyes playfully and then kissed him on the cheek. "I still think it's a little unfair to the others," she began to say.

"Hey," Percy interrupted, "I'm just using my natural abilities." A mischievous smirk played on his lips. Annabeth pushed into him and laughed. "How's the decathlon team doing?"

"Really well, actually! Peter is smart enough to be a child of Athena, but he's not the wisest. And he's pretty clumsy too."

"Sorry, who's Peter again?"

"How about you come over tonight and meet him. Peter and his friend Ned and their friend MJ wanted to hang out and I thought it'd be cool to make some mortal friends, so I invited them to my place."

Percy smiled at her and said he'd like that. She had convinced her father to let her get an apartment in New York near him. She ate at Percy's a lot of the time upon Sally's insistence, but she loved the freedom that came with having her own place.

They parted ways and headed to class when the bell rang. Some hours later, 7th period finally rolled around. Percy had gym as his last class of the day. He walked towards the locker rooms to change when he heard a commotion inside. Percy quickly rushed in with a hand hovering by his pocket, ready to take out Riptide. What he saw was not a monster but rather one of the football players and his goons surrounding a shorter boy with brown hair and hazel eyes. Percy could tell the boy had a lean build, despite his appearance.

Percy knew the football player, Flash Thompson, was the school bully. He didn't have any personal qualms with him, but he didn't support the bullying at all. Plus, the football team and the swim team had a weird relationship. They both were the most awarded sports at the school, so they respected each other, but they also had opposite personalities most of the time, so they didn't always get along.

"What's going on, Flash?"

"Nothing, Percy. Stay out of this one."

"Oh come on. You know I can't do that. Coach is teaching today and if he found out I didn't stop a fight in his locker rooms, I'd be pulled from the next competition."

Flash knew how important it was to be in the games or races, so it was the perfect way for Percy to end the confrontation peacefully.

"Fine," Flash said to Percy. Then he regarded the smaller boy, "You better watch your back next time you think it's ok to bump into me." With that threat, he walked out to his next class with his pals following close behind.

"You ok?" Percy asked.

"Yeah, fine. Thanks, man."

"No problem. Flash is a jerk anyway."

"Yeah. I'm Peter by the way. I mean not that you cared to know my name, but it's Peter if you were wondering."

"Nice to meet you, Peter. I'm Percy."

"Dude. I know who you are. The whole school knows who you are."

Percy laughed awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. "So... you in this gym class? I know it's been a week, but I'm still new here and I don't really know anyone."

"Uhh... Yeah. I am."

"Cool... cool... well I'm going to change out. See ya out there, Peter."

"Yeah. Ok. See you," Peter said as he quickly walked outside to the gym.

Percy didn't think much of Peter and because it's a common name, he didn't associate this guy with the one Annabeth mentioned. What Peter was also somehow oblivious to was that Annabeth was dating Percy. He and Ned had been too focused on the upcoming decathlon competition that they paid little attention to anything else. MJ knew, of course, because she wasn't oblivious and had a life, but she didn't care to share the gossip going around either.

When Percy got to the gym, his coach had them run 10 laps. Everyone else was already breathing heavily, but Percy wasn't fazed in the slightest. Demigod training does that to a person.

A loud whistle rang through the room and everyone gathered around. "Alright, listen up! Today we are going to be doing the rope test. All you've got to do is climb up the rope and ring the bell. Percy! Come up and help demonstrate some techniques they can use."

"Sure, Coach."

So Percy demonstrated the techniques described by Coach. By the end, he had climbed up and down the rope 5 times, much to everyone else's astonishment.

The gym was equipped with 2 ropes, so Percy was in charge of spotting for the second rope during the tests.

"Peter Parker and Christina Patel. Step up to the ropes."

"Good luck," Percy said to Peter.

Peter just gave him a small smile. Percy was surprised to see that Peter had climbed up the rope with little trouble. He guessed the boy had more muscle than just the lean body he originally thought Peter had. Peter didn't know why he tried hard (ish) on the rope test. He figured he didn't want to look weak in front of Percy again after having to be saved from Flash. Technically, he wasn't saved because he could have totally handled the situation on his own (at least, that was what Peter was telling himself).

"Nice work, man! Guess you didn't need that luck after all," Percy commented with a genuine smile.

Peter chuckled and was slightly red from embarrassment. "Oh... uh... thanks," he said, trying not to show how awkward he felt. It didn't work out too well.

After school, Percy went home for a bit before heading over to Annabeth's. His mom was making dinner for them and her friends to eat over there that night. He was allowed to go over anytime as long as he was back before 11:00 pm.

Meanwhile, Annabeth was tidying up the last of the books lying around. A few minutes later, there was a knock on her door. After checking through the peephole to see who it was (because one can never be too careful), she unlocked the door to let Peter and Ned in.