006

I stare at the orange petal, splattered in deep crimson blood

What the...?

Someone bangs roughly on the bathroom door.

"J-just a minute!"

"Deku, are you in there?"

It's Kacchan. "Y-yeah," I call. It comes out weirdly, so I clear my throat and try again. "Yes!"

"Are you okay?"

I look back at the petal. No, I'm not okay. I just coughed up a freaking flower?!

"I'm fine!" Those two words are the biggest lie in the universe. "Just give me a sec!"

I flush the toilet and make a big show of washing my hands. "It's fine, Izuku, you're dreaming, or something. This is just silly. No one coughs flowers," I mutter to myself.

I step out of the bathroom to find Kacchan waiting for me outside the door.

"Look, Deku, I shouldn't have kissed you without warning," he starts.

"It was just... that was my first kiss," I admit. "But it's okay. Really," I manage a weak smile. I'm acutely aware that my hands are shaking.

He shoves his fists into his pockets. "So, we're good?"

"Yep."

"Great. Let's ditch this thing."

I sigh in relief. "Yes, please."

Just twenty minutes ago, I felt confident and cute. Maybe even sexy. Hanging around Kacchan and his cool friends. But now? All I want to do is get home and find out what the heck is wrong with me.

⭐︎

As soon as Kacchan drops me back home, I race up to my room and open my laptop.

Frantically, I Google 'i just coughed up a flower help' and scroll through the search results hurriedly, skimming my eyes over the websites. Finally, a medical website yields.

❝hanahaki disease❞

[n]

· an extremely rare medical condition where flowers blossom inside the victim's lungs. these flowers are born of unrequited love. the victim will vomit or cough up flower petals and blood. eventually, the victim will suffocate and die unless cured.

· cures:

↪︎ surgical removal of the flowers

↪︎ the victim's love interest returning the feelings

· the victim will cough up the loved one's favourite flowers

· if you have these symptoms, please contact 1800-HANAHAKI immediately for surgical removal of your blossoms before you receive permanent lung damage.

I stare at the screen and blink rapidly. This can't be happening. Because the petal I coughed up was none other than an orange zinnia.

Kacchan's favourite flower.