Chapter IV

I awoke to bright sunlight streaming through the window of the small cabin I shared with my friends, Essie and Akari. I arose quickly, brushed out my red hair and weaved it a long braid that hung down my back, and donned my sword, ready for a day of the unexpected.I had not obtained much sleep last night, partly due to the continuous rocking of the ship that made my stomach churn, and partly because I was dreadfully fearful of rumours I may have set in place by clumsily revealing my identity during the battle last night. I hadn't meant to tell the general who I was, but shouting out that I was the daughter of the king gave me courage. By now the dark prince could very well have found out about my planned arrival in Argaland, he may already know that I was returning to lead my people in a revolt against him and could be preparing his army that very second. I could only hope that since I had not disclosed the intended location of mine and my companion's expected arrival in the mountains, that we might be able to sneak through unnoticed; but that was very wishful thinking indeed.

                                                                                            ~~~

"Amirah come, quickly, we must leave the ship immediately," Essie instructed the moment the vessel docked on the shore of the small river that ran between two great mountains.I nodded and climbed down the ramp onto the bank of the river; the ship pulling away from the shore only moments after our departure. Millions of tiny smooth stones that covered the shore, crunched underneath my leather boots as I walked, and the cool wind blew through the trees, softening the high-pitched call of a kestrel that echoed in the sky. On each side of the river where many tall trees which were the entry to a dense forest.

"We must hurry and make it out of this exposed area," Essie explained as Akari and I followed her, "there is a small path that leads through the forest and into the mountains, I followed it once before and am certain it is safe."

To our dismay, moments after Essie had finished her sentence, we arrived and saw posted at each side of the entry to the forest, were two soldiers of the dark prince, clad in silver armour, a sword in their grasp.

Akari was first to spot them, pulling our guide and myself quickly against the side of a tree so we were not seen, "there are soldiers there Essie!" my friend yelled though a whisper, fear in her eyes.

Essie peered around the tree for a brief moment before turning back to us, "I see them," she stated gravely, "but that is the only way, if we enter the forest through here we will lose our way almost immediately and be left to the mercies of nature."

I breathed out slowly and met her eyes, "then we must, for there is no other way, the task ahead of us is too great for us to give up before we have even begun," I declared.

Akari set her jaw in determination and Essie nodded, I followed with a resolute nod of my own and moved out of my hiding spot, walking with my head held high towards the soldiers.Their eyes turned cold at seeing us, yet there was an evil glint of excitement in them as the tallest amongst them asked, "what are your names and why is it that you seek to enter this kingdom?"

I opened my mouth to speak but Essie held up her hand to silence me, "good sirs," she began, "I am Esmeralda Clermont, I am a merchant and seamstress returning from a trip to Trogia, these are my new associates; I ask that you please do not hinder us in our return."